IMG chances for 2016 General Surgery Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quoddy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
IMG with Step 1:240+, Step 2CK: 250+, Step 2CS: PASS (first attempt) and planning to take Step 3 before The Match.
2 observerships (while in senior year med school) in 2 top 5 ranked U.S. hospitals.
1 Clinical rotation in top hospital (1 month only).
6 months of research at a private midwestern hospital.
2 LoRs from board certified surgeons, getting another one soon.

No green card and looking for a H1B visa if possible.
What should I do to be more competitive?
Preliminary or categorical program?
IMG friendly programs?

I appreciate any advice or comments regarding my chances to get into a gen surgery spot. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any research, publications, presentations? What country and when did you graduate in?

Graduated from a south-american med school in 2013. Currently doing research. I have 3 indexed publications in european journals. 1 poster presentation.
Appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Realistically you would be looking at a good prelim position from what you list there. Try JHH or one of the programs that have a tradition in matching prelims. There have been multiple topics in this forum you may find helpful. (Of course, it won't hurt to apply categorical too, but keep your expectations reasonable)

Unfortunately I see 2 issues:
1) 3 year gap with only 6 months to account for. I imagine you spend the rest of the time studying for the USMLEs.
2) not enough research. I think as an IMG you would need to distinguish yourself. Research and having well known mentors are the two main things. Unfortunately your research achievements are average and comparable to the U.S. Grads (if not worse). If you have strong LORs by exceptional surgeons the lack of research might not be such an issue.

In my experience during the interview trail, I noticed that the smaller programs (that are not as competitive) did not offer me an interview, whilst to my surprise the bigger academic programs did. Talking to chairs and PDs within plastics, and swig what happened with my interviews I came to a possible conclusion (might be incorrect though). Smaller programs are not interested in IMGs (I have been told by PDs and chairs that some just automatically throw their applications in the bin), whereas the larger academic programs are interested in recruiting the best of the best regardless of the where they graduated. The problem is that other than USMLE scores they want lots of publications, presentations, etc. in fact a lot of the IMGs who matched have done dedicated research fellowships.

Out of curiosity what have you been up to these past 2 years?

I agree that prelim might be your best bet. But also apply to categorical. You never know!

Unfortunately I see 2 issues:
In my experience during the interview trail, I noticed that the smaller programs (that are not as competitive) did not offer me an interview, whilst to my surprise the bigger academic programs did. Talking to chairs and PDs within plastics, and swig what happened with my interviews I came to a possible conclusion (might be incorrect though). Smaller programs are not interested in IMGs (I have been told by PDs and chairs that some just automatically throw their applications in the bin), whereas the larger academic programs are interested in recruiting the best of the best regardless of the where they graduated. The problem is that other than USMLE scores they want lots of publications, presentations, etc. in fact a lot of the IMGs who matched have done dedicated research fellowships.

PDs consider IMGs to be high-risk (and occasionally high-reward) candidates. A small program (i.e. <4 residents/class) will have a harder time accommodating for a resident who turned out to be incompatible than a program with more residents. So the risk for smaller programs is higher. That's why small programs often don't consider IMGs, while larger (and often more prestigious) programs may give you a shot.

Thanks for starting this thread, Quoddy.
IMG with Step 1: 250+, Step 2CK: 260+ and CS pass (first attempt), currently a prelim PGY1 in NY.
Applied for categorical spot this year.
Graduated in 2009, completed surgery residency in home country in 2013, a year of fellowship in surgical oncology.
Had 2 observerships (1 month each) in top universities in US in 2014. No research year in US, though.
3 LORs from board certified surgeons in US

Research background, both in med school and residency training. Upto 7 publications in decent journals. Paper presentations in both US and home country conferences.

Have applied far and wide in categorical programs, this year.
Have already got 4 rejections :-(

Do I stand any chance to land in a categorical spot? Please, any advice or suggestions. Thanks.

Thanks for starting this thread, Quoddy.
IMG with Step 1: 250+, Step 2CK: 260+ and CS pass (first attempt), currently a prelim PGY1 in NY.
Applied for categorical spot this year.
Graduated in 2009, completed surgery residency in home country in 2013, a year of fellowship in surgical oncology.
Had 2 observerships (1 month each) in top universities in US in 2014. No research year in US, though.
3 LORs from board certified surgeons in US

Research background, both in med school and residency training. Upto 7 publications in decent journals. Paper presentations in both US and home country conferences.

Have applied far and wide in categorical programs, this year.
Have already got 4 rejections :-(

Do I stand any chance to land in a categorical spot? Please, any advice or suggestions. Thanks.

Your preliminary program is your best chance and help finding spots...

US citizen IMG Step1 239 step2 268 CS pass all first time graduate this coming year, no time gaps in my resume.

Research experience, case report and several projects under current investigation but not in time for publication by the time applications are due. 2 years of research at Quillen medical school in United states prior to beginning medical school hopefully that counts. All clerkship experience done in the united states with ACGME accreditation. Strong letters from faculty at teaching facilities and others who went to bigger institutions for training. Electives done at several community programs with letters from associate professors there. Leadership experience extensive. What to do in following rotations to increase possibility of getting a TY or a categorical?