IMG.. Did not match PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caribgrad13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to this forum but have been reading it for a while, I applied to PM&R this year and only had 1 interview and did not match. US Citizen Graduated in Nov 2013, Step 1 214, Step 2 249, CS passed all in first attempt, I went to a Lower tier Carib school 2 years of clinical rotations in Chicago. Did one PM&R elective with a letter of rec from that doctor. I really love the field and understood how competitive it has become so I applied to Family Medicine as a back up and Matched into FM. Is there anyway I can make my way to PM&R somehow? I would basically do anything what are my options and what do you think went wrong the first attempt?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am new to this forum but have been reading it for a while, I applied to PM&R this year and only had 1 interview and did not match. US Citizen Graduated in Nov 2013, Step 1 214, Step 2 249, CS passed all in first attempt, I went to a Lower tier Carib school 2 years of clinical rotations in Chicago. Did one PM&R elective with a letter of rec from that doctor. I really love the field and understood how competitive it has become so I applied to Family Medicine as a back up and Matched into FM. Is there anyway I can make my way to PM&R somehow? I would basically do anything what are my options and what do you think went wrong the first attempt?

What do you like about PM&R? If MSK stuff, then finish your FM and do a sports fellowship. Along the way attend conferences/workshops to pick up other skills. There is the general bias about carib, and more likely w/ lower tier or a school they don't have experience with. Not everywhere, but a lot of places. If there is time off between graduation and residency, that can screen you out of a lot of places as well. Any other red flags that pop up would put your file at the bottom. Best way to overcome is to rotate where you want to match and be awesome.