Quantcast

IMG ENT residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VJ6

Reaction score
hi, I am a final year student from India (but a canadian national). I NEED ADVISE ABOUT MY CHANCES AND HOW TO MAKE THEM BETTER.

There is nothing else that I want to do excepting ENT and i really dont know what i ll do if this does'nt work out.

Step score is low- 215 (i know the mistakes i made, i wont make them again)

Will take step 2 and possibly step 3 before I even apply.

Planning on doing a year of research and trying to find spots starting from Jan-march 2011. (does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look?)

Will be applying for 2012 match.

Have 5 months of electives but only 1.5 months in ENT. Another 1 month in General Surgery but I dont know how much that will help.

i would really appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Thanks.

Leforte

Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I am all for going for it. But I would think of another specialty if you want to train in the US. Nothing wrong with applying broadly (as in every program in your situation), but also applying simultaneously in another specialty as a back-up.

SouthernSurgeon

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think you need to know up front that the odds are pretty heavily against you. Look at the NRMP Charting Outcomes in the Match.

Last year for ENT there were apparently 47 independent applicants (FMG, IMG, DO) - of those 10 matched while 37 did not. Only two independent applicants with a Step I score <220 matched.

At this point the best things you can do are get as good a score on Step II as you can, get US experience in ENT, get letters from US faculty, and try to get involved in some research.

Last edited:

VJ6

Reaction score
Thanks...for the advise. Most programs that I looked at want 3 letters of recommendation and I already have two letters from US and 1 has to be from the home school. I will try to get involved in research as well.

Do u know any place i can start looking up people who take students or graduates up for research? Paid, unpaid it doesnt really matter.

Please let me know and thank you for your reply.

VJ6

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise...im thinking about other programs to apply to. Lets c how everything works out.

neutropeniaboy

Blasted ENT Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We had a student at our institution who had 260 on Step I, all honors, several pubs, and that person didn't match.

Take it seriously.

Consider your chances and decide whether this is worth it for you to go through the year of research, the expense of applying to all programs, and facing the very real probability that you will not match.

hi, I am a final year student from India (but a canadian national). I NEED ADVISE ABOUT MY CHANCES AND HOW TO MAKE THEM BETTER.

There is nothing else that I want to do excepting ENT and i really dont know what i ll do if this does'nt work out.

Step score is low- 215 (i know the mistakes i made, i wont make them again)

Will take step 2 and possibly step 3 before I even apply.

Planning on doing a year of research and trying to find spots starting from Jan-march 2011. (does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look?)

Will be applying for 2012 match.

Have 5 months of electives but only 1.5 months in ENT. Another 1 month in General Surgery but I dont know how much that will help.

i would really appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Thanks.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.