IMG for CEHPEA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan Lee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

As far as I know, MCCEE and toefl are basic requirements for IMG to apply for a ontario residency.

However, I know CEHPEA today. I'm not sure what it is.

If I have a plan to have a residency program in Ontario, should I register in this CEHPEA? Applying for assessment to CEHPEA is madatory for all IMG?

I just knew Carms is only necessary to apply for a ontario residency program.

Please help me.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

CEHPEA assessment is a grey area. i am canadian born, did 2 undergraduate degrees at mcmaster university and went to med school in ireland. i did not get one family medicine interview in ontario despite passing the EE and doing 3 family medicine electives in ontario. most programs say that the CEHPEA assessment is optional but i'd say do it if you can because it will only help.

Thank you for your reply. I think that could be a bad news.

I'm planning to apply for a canadian residency without that.

I have a schedule in May 1, for EE.

So, I think I have no chance to apply for CEHPEA because I don't have QE1 also.

I think you are a strong candidate because you are a canadian, 3 elective...

so,,you think CEHPEA is a shortcut for canada residency????

Members don't see this ad :)
make sure you nail the EE!!! turst me if you do well on EE and have done well in your medschool with good letters you should be fine. My friend placed in Radio with just having the EE and no other assessments. she did also have USMLE 1 and 2 and that helps. Good luck!!!

Last year I was invited for Family medicine interview in Ontario even without provincial assessment (CEHPEA). Although I had good score in USMLE step1 and 2. But every little thing adds to your overall score. I was not matched last year and after doing CE1 of CEHPEA I again was called for same interview and remained unmatched for Family medicine (in first iteration). I am lucky that I got my first choice gen. surgery residency in second round of CARMS match.

so through the cehpea you don't need to take the mcqe1 and 2, the usmle 1 and 2 would suffice? this could be enough to get you a residency in ontario?

nono. in order to land residency in ontario you need to take mccee at the very least (extremely slim to get in with only this) + qe1 +/-cehpea (CE1). You cannot take cehpea unless you have passed qe1.

nono. in order to land residency in ontario you need to take mccee at the very least (extremely slim to get in with only this) + qe1 +/-cehpea (CE1). You cannot take cehpea unless you have passed qe1.

Actually, I have passed MCCEE in May, So now I'm thinking about applying for QE1 which is scheduled in late Oct or Early Nov.

However, the QE1 schedule is so late compared to residency applying started on early Sep.

So, if I give and take QE1 in Oct or Nov, the result may be released on Dec, right?

I think QE1 result is so late to apply for residency program.

At this momoment, I have a concern.

Do I have to apply for my country residency which is started in Sep? Or Just give up my country residency and then, give and take QE1.

If I do not apply for my country residency and do not get a interview from canadian residency program, that is a big trouble.

If QE1 schedule is late to apply for residency program, I'll give up the exam now.

Can you advice me for me?

Thank you so much

Dear Ransak,
Could you please advice me and help me out?
i am indian med. grad. working in UK for last the 6 yrs. I am at PGY2 level in general surgery but cannot progress from here being an IMG. I am aiming to persue surgical career in CANADA. Have passed MCCEE, MCCQE1 and have got dates for oct. MCCQE2. Awaiting dates for CE1/CE2 and SWE exams.

I have no idea the prep. material and sudy material for CE1/CE2/SWE OR MCCQE2 exams. Is CE1 and QE2 exams similar to USMLE CS exams??? coz i have done USMLE STEP1/STEP2/STEP3 AND CS EXAMS. I just appled on Carms last year for surgery nothing happened. Mind you i am not Canadian citizen. I just have travel visa to Canada to take up exams.

YOur continous advice would be much appreciated as you have beat the system and have got surgical residency.
plz advice me and oblige.
thanking you
shiva