IMG friendly locations?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by cleansocks, Jun 4, 2008.

1. cleansocks

cleansocks Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi,

I am a US med student applying to anesthesia. I'm couples matching with an IMG who is going into EM. We are planning on applying to the following big cities: NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston; also planning on applying to San Fransisco and San Diego.

Anyone know of other areas that are IMG friendly?

Ideally we'd like to live somewhere with a nice mid sized town, nice weather (ie Denver, Portland Oregon, etc). But any IMG friendly locations/programs aside from the above will help.

I realize since she's applying to EM it's difficult to be program-specific since this is an anesthesia forum - but this forum is much more lively than the EM one and I figure u all will feel COMPELLED to help a future anesthesiologist like me = ).

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 2win

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    UIC, CCH - Chicago. GREAT city. Excellent programs.

4. cockblockandrun

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are you a caribbean grad?

5. cleansocks

cleansocks Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thx for info.

I'm a med student in Boston. My S.O. is a med student in the Czech Republic.

6. PainNGas

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Brigham is IMG friendly.

7. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi,

Though a still have about 3 years I was thinking about anesthesiology as well. I am a carribean student (SGU). I ve heard that carribean grads in the past didnt have a huge difficulty (still had to do above average) but from what I hear anesth is getting more competitive each year.

At the present state do carribean grads have difficulty getting anesth? Do they have to be very exceptional students with super board scores? Or can they be hardworking students with average to above average board scores?

8. Coastie

Coastie Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    IMG with fantastic profiles friendly. Make sure that caveat is added in there..

9. cockblockandrun

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    SGU grad here. If you look at the 2008 residency match list, we did really well esp in anesthesia and rads. I would say average 90+ on both Steps and that should open doors for you. If you can try to maintain your GPA around 3+ for basic sciences and during clinicals, they will get a significant boost. It helps to do away rotations- I think some hospitals in our network are LICH, St. Barnabas, St. Josephs, and Methodist. But I hear St. Barnabas is not IMG friendly anymore and Methodist has been on probation.

There will be douches in our class who will say you need 99's and anything less don't apply to anesthesia. Ignore them, study hard, shoot for the stars. Thats what I did and in 2 weeks I start my residency in anesthesia. If you need any advice or the low down on SGU and applying to anesthesia, send me a PM. In the meantime, survive Grenada!
    Best.

10. mazinger

10+ Year Member

anesthesia is easier to get for carib med students compared to non carib imgs. I think only 120ish imgs got into anesthesia this year. Half were permanent residents/us citizen imgs and the other visa needing imgs.

GL, hope your SO scores well and both of you will get what you want..