IMG gas and residencies question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lvspro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo
A big congrats to all those who matched at gas programs. I am curious to get an idea of what the field looks like for IMG's. If you could post some of your stats, carib med school, and residency match location, I would appreciate it. I am sure others will be curious about the same info.
Peace
Lo

Members don't see this ad.

some of my best friends just matched from my class at saba... all had straight A's (if that really matters to res directors...), 220-240 step 1/2 scores, excellent LOR from university programs and, perhaps most importantly, were all great guys... don't underestimate the value of the interview once you get there... that is how they all got their 1st or 2nd picks at places like U of Florida, Saint Louis U, Tufts/NECM...

Ross University. 230 step 1/229 step 2. Straight A's. terrible LORS. No research. Offered 30 interviews, went on 17. Matched Ohio State for ANesthesia and preliminary medicine. Should get plenty of interviews if you score above 215 to 220 on the USMLE. YOU MUST HAVE STEP 2 BEFORE YOU APPLY to really increase your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Swaydaa said:
Ross University. 230 step 1/229 step 2. Straight A's. terrible LORS. No research. Offered 30 interviews, went on 17. Matched Ohio State for ANesthesia and preliminary medicine. Should get plenty of interviews if you score above 215 to 220 on the USMLE. YOU MUST HAVE STEP 2 BEFORE YOU APPLY to really increase your chances.

sorry i can't resist. Why did you have terrible LOR?

Rossies unite.
Z

zedpol said:
sorry i can't resist. Why did you have terrible LOR?

Rossies unite.
Z

they made me write half of my lORS that they signed (I suck at writing) and the other half were generic letters ALL PD's are famililar with....I.e nothing really good in the letters.

brendang said:
some of my best friends just matched from my class at saba... all had straight A's (if that really matters to res directors...), 220-240 step 1/2 scores, excellent LOR from university programs and, perhaps most importantly, were all great guys... don't underestimate the value of the interview once you get there... that is how they all got their 1st or 2nd picks at places like U of Florida, Saint Louis U, Tufts/NECM...
actually A"s int he basic sci years aren't important at all generally. Obviously this isn't license to slack; it correlates with your usmle which does matter, and higher grades are better. but clinical grades are really what count.

stephew said:
actually A"s int he basic sci years aren't important at all generally. Obviously this isn't license to slack; it correlates with your usmle which does matter, and higher grades are better. but clinical grades are really what count.

Truer words were not spoken. Kick-butt in your specialty clerkships. And, even grades from the Carib schools are looked at. Trust me.

-Skip

Thought I would add to this post. Heaven knows it helped me out the last 2 years. Oh, by the way I went to SGU.

Step 1 233/94
Step 2 232/94
GPA 3.8 (scattered a few B's along the way)
Pretty decent LOR's, a great anesthesia letter (I underestimated the importance of these, I wish they would have been from more well known people)
Some Research, no publications
Was an anesthesia monitoring technician for 2 years (placed >250 A-lines and very familiar with swans and trouble shooting monitors....I feel like this helped a ton, and will help in residency)

Offered 28 interviews, went to 17, ranked 15 (way too many by the way)

Matched at Penn State University Categorical (my #1 choice)

Good luck. I know that SGU did very well for Anesthesia this year in the match. Great programs.......Iowa, UPENN, RUSH...........list goes on.

I'm still waiting for Skip to post his spot............C'mon Skip, let it out of the hat. I doesn't matter now, contracts are signed.

Dr. J

jenjas said:
I'm still waiting for Skip to post his spot............C'mon Skip, let it out of the hat. I doesn't matter now, contracts are signed.

I'll never tell... :smuggrin:

But, I heard that a guy in the class behind mine matched at Penn St., too. (Can't confirm, though). So, supposedly you'll be seeing a Rossie there this summer. I heard that it's a really good program, by the way. I know more than a few Ross students interviewed there. Overall, Ross did very well for Anesthesiology in the match this year too. About 20 or so people (myself included) got great spots from the Northeast to the Midwest to the South. We're going to be all over the place!!

-Dr. Intro