IMG into Plastic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgerydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG in 3rd yr of surgery in a decent university program. I am really interested in going into Plastics. My ABSITE scores are average range. I need some suggestions on what i need to do to go into plastics. Is doing hand surgery a good option? Or should i do research?

pls lemme know

Members don't see this ad.

If your university has a plastic surgery department you should get to know them very very well. If I were you I would try to maybe get a publication or two in the next year. Do very well on this years absite - top 25% if you can.

Above all you should talk to your plastics department or one that you can rotate through. They will have advice and opinions that I am not qualified to give. I haven't matched yet and probably won't. It is going to be UGLY this year. Some places have gotten 400+ applications. There are less than 100 spots in the match this year so you do the math. Keep hope though because I have met a lot of residents in programs who were also IMG's.