IMG into Plastic Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gresh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I recently received a 240/99 on my boards. As a Caribbean student, how feasible is to get into the field of plastic surgery if I applied broadly?

Integrated plastics? - Probably about as likely as getting a handy from Suge Knight.

If I were in your position, I would try to get into the best general surgery program I could and then attempt to match plastics afterwards. I think that is your best bet and I would go all for general surgery. This means doing audition rotations at strong places that may be IMG friendly and working your @ss off. I think if you do a great job somewhere you will probably be able to get into a decent Gen Surg program. Do some research and find some places that have accepted an IMG/FMG in the past. Once there work very hard and do research (maybe do research years if they are available). Establish good relations with the plastic surgeons there. Even with all this it won't be a sure thing, but it is your best chance of being a plastic surgeon.

Depending on your financial situation, you can apply to every integrated plastics program in the country (just like all plastics applicants). I would only expect to receive 1 or 2 invitations at the most so it won't mess up the rest of your general surgery interview season it will just cost money. Remember a 240 is good, but still below average for plastics.

Hey there,

I would check out this thread on IMG into plastics: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=645723

There was an IMG who matched this past year with similar scores, but from what I understand she had completed a general surgery residency and had extensive accolades and publications. So while it is difficult for an IMG to get into integrated plastics, it is not impossible.

GS is probably a better option for now and you can work on distinguishing yourself during residency for a PRS fellowship spot.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Getting an integrated plastics spot from a caribbean school is extremely difficult. Best bet is to either apply as a transfer student to a US allopathic or apply to the best academic gen surg spot you can get and apply plastics as a fellowship. In fact, I don't know of anyone or even heard of anyone that match integrated plastics directly from a caribbean school. That being said, I have several good friends and have personal experience in those who have transferred from caribbean schools to US allopathic schools and matched integrated plastics. good luck!

there is a guy who matched my interview year at UTSW from a caribbean med school (i matched somewhere else). He had taken time off to do research with Rohrich. There are some ivory tower programs that wont consider you, but dont listen to what anyone says. If you want it bad enough you can get it.

I know someone from South America who matched at a good East Coast program. He was extremely knowledgeable and hardworking. You need to find an advocate in PRS ( a chairman) who you impress and can give u a spot in his/her program or utilize connections to get u in somewhere else. The rest of your resume should be flawless.

Good luck. Plastics is all about who you know.