IMG Peds Applicants Please Gather here

Started by aws
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aws

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear members,

This thread is only for IMGs who are applying for peds.

Dear US students please do not post in this thread.

So OK let's start

My profile (99/99/CS pass all first attempt/1997 grad/3 months USCE/3 US LoRs/Green Card/Research(2)/Publication(3))
So far got 5 rejections
-DC Children
-Medical College of Georgia
-Memorial Goergia
-Michigan State University
-Richmond NY

How about you guys?
 
I changed the layout, please use it and add if I forgot something! Please let us know what all was on ERAS file when you you received interviews.

Home Country: Germany
Step1: 214/90, 2nd attempt
Step2 CK: 216/89, 1st attempt
Step2 CS: pass, 1st attempt
Step3: will take in Dec 2010
Grad: 2009
USCE: 6 months, all Peds in same city
LOR: 4 very good US letters, 0 were online when I received interviews, now one was uploaded by ECFMG
Visa: none, need J1 or H1-B
Reasearch/Publication: 2 (one of them over 4 years in Neonoatology)/0
Residency: starting Peds Residency in home country in October
Volunteer: around 6, all in Peds, some over many years
#of programs applied to: 28 (Texas and surrounding states, bf is American and regionally bound)
Invites: 2 (Texas Tech Amarillo, UTMB Glveston)
Rejections: 1 (New Mexico)
 
I am an IMG from India..I have not applied still..Got step 1, step 2 CK & CS scores & hope to get ECFMG certification in another 2 weeks..

My credentials are :

Home Country: India

Step1: 231/99, 1st attempt
Step2 CK: 231/95, 1st attempt
Step2 CS: Pass, 1st attempt
Step3: Will take in Dec 2010
Grad: 1996
USCE: No
LOR: 3 very good India letters, Still not uploaded by ECFMG
Visa: Green card
Reasearch/Publication: One year of research experience in HIV project in India, which was conducted in assoc. with Johns Hopkins University, baltimore, US
Residency: Completed Peds Residency in home country in 2000 & got 5 yeras of post MD experience whcih includes 2 years of teaching experience as a lecturer in Medical College.

Now my questions are :

Shall I apply right now or wait another 2 weeks till I get ECFMG certificate?
Aprrox. how many programs I need to apply?
What are my chances for 2011 with no USCE & no US LORs?
Shall I apply to only Peds/Med-Peds?

I wish to continut with Peds only..But in case I don't get into Peds, is ther is any chance if I apply to Family Practice / Internal Medicine, I can shift to Peds in PGY-2?..Sorry for this silly question..But I am new to this NRMP match process.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should defn apply as soon as you can. I believe there is somewhere in the app you can state when you expect to recieve your ECFMG certification, not sure. Despite that, once programs see your score transcripts they will know you have passed all your boards and are going to get your certification. Main thing for IMG is deadline. Apply as soon as you can, and let the post office upload info as it is recieved. You should defn apply to as many programs as you can afford to. Statistically you should get interviews at around 12 places to make you chances of matching be 90% or so(not sure if thats exact, but i'm pretty sure its around the ball park). Also you did not apply on sept 1st, so apply to as many programs as you can to increase your chances of scoring an interview. Also look at individual prog requirements so u dont waste your time applying to some that have filters such as recent grads(none over 3 yrs or 5 yrs, etc). The best thing for you to do is apply as soon as you can! You have a great application and i'm sure will get some interviews. Dont wait!

Also if you apply to family med at the same prog tha you apply to peds at, it will appear as though u are not sure of your choice. So be prepared to ask why you have applied to multiple departments if that info is found out during ur interview etc. Med-peds is quite competitive, but its worth a shot!
USCE and US LORS only make your application stronger and equally competitive to those imgs who do have them. So its reccomended to get some USCE but it might not be feasible at this pt, so apply as soon as you can. I applied last year and did so late, and this year did on time and i recieved 3 interviews already. So the best thing you can do for yourself is apply ASAP! sorry for the redundancy. Goodluck friend!
 
Hi pinks511,

That was a detailed reply..Thanks for helping me out..Yes.I will apply as soon as I can...My LORs will get uploaded by 15th October..So still I am lagging behind in the application process this year...

Thanks again ...

Will post here if I get any interviews...
 
Hi from the UK,

I too am applyng for Peds Residency Starting July 2011.

I eliminated a lot of the programs by their location.

I am married, with a pre-school family. They are supporting me in moving over to the US so the least I can do is find a decent town ( not city) to live in.

Check out the Forbes Magazine list.http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/13/cheap-cities-property-lifestyle-real-estate-cheap-places-chart.html

I am applying to 10 programs only - it gets expensive after that. ( $8 per program.

AfternoonT
 
Dear aws,

Sounds like they are rejecting a great candidate!

what I did apart from look at location of the programs was look at which med school the current residents graduated from?

There are some programs that have almost exclusively US graduates...and hey that is fine, but it does not make any sense for me to apply to them.

There are some programs that have a higher proportion of Foreign graduates but you just have to do the legwork and look at their websites...

Afternoon T
 
Ok so here's my updated status;

Got IVs from the following programs:

Brooklyn Medical Center
Woodhull Medical Center
Washington University - St. Louis
St. Christopher Hospital for children
St. John Hospital - Detroit
East Tennessee University
Beth Israel - NJ
Cleveland Clinic
White Memorial Medical Center - LA California

Got many many rejections, over 25 till now

So how about you guys!
 
Hi, i am new to this thread...
Home Country: India
Step1: 234/98, 1st attempt
Step2 CK: 239/99, 1st attempt
Step2 CS: pass, 1st attempt
Step3: will take in Dec 2010
Grad: 2009
USCE: 2 months, all Peds
LOR: 3 from India and 1 LoR from US
Visa: none, need J1 or H1-B
Reasearch/Publication: 2 publications
Invites: 4 (SUNY Brooklyn, UTMB Galveston, Maimonides Brooklyn, Case western)
Rejections: many
 
Dear Aws and others,

You are probably not checking into this thread anymore as you have many interveiw applics and will soon be on your way to US.

I have many rejects but I applied late - October. The tip is to apply in August because Programs typically only invite 100 - 200 applicants, and it is first come,first served.

Did my Step 3 a few days ago, so with this result, I hope I will pick up a place in the Scramble....

AfternoonT