IMG preparing for USMLE step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSK143

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I'm IMG and would like to start preparing for step 2 but I would like to know which sources I should use putting in mind that i have been graduated since almost 9 years. I would appreciate every advice..

thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Since you're 9 years out, it would be good to review the most recent guidelines esp in the fields of cardiology and obstetrics/gyn since these change.

Most US med students spend only a few weeks studying for Step 2 because they took the NBME subject tests during their clinicals in their 3rd and 4th years.

Most used review series books like Pre-Test, Blueprints, Case Files, and the Appleton/Lange Questions. First Aid for Step 2 is also helpful as a road map of what to study. Usmleword is a good question bank for Step 2, but I would make sure you review your books before going through the bank to ensure you have a good foundation rather than just memorizing the answers on usmleworld.

Also on youtube, there's this med student who put up recent review youtube videos for Step 2. His profile there is StudyWithSubstanceP and has some interesting videos that might help make the studying process less tortuous and more entertaining.

Good luck!

Simple answers.

DO NOT go around reading current recommendations, you are only going to get confused. Which recommendations do you use? Yeah, there are too many. You must UNLEARN all the stuff you learned in your clinic, and RELEARN all the things the Step 2 wants you to learn.

Kaplan is long-winded but complete.

First Aid Step 2, Step Up Step 2, and USMLE Secrets are the the usual manuals for success. You will also need practice with a Qbank. UWorld and Kaplan are the go to banks, UWorld the better of the two.

You can easily get a pass by choosing one book, one qbank, and taking a month off from work.