IMG question on Step 1 and 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoenberg3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a US citizen who did undergrad in US but attended medical school abroad for personal reasons. I am planning to return to the US, hoping to match into psychiatry residency.

I am debating whether to take step 1 P/F for the following reasons:

In the country that I got my MD from, the licensing exam is quite similar to step 2 CK in terms of scope and material. However, I would have to study quite hard for step 1, since I haven't touched upon that material in a long time.

Therefore, I am wondering whether I should devote all my efforts into getting an excellent score on step 2 CK, instead of "splitting" my effort between step 1 and step 2 ck. Of course, I realize getting an excellent score on both would be optimal.

Put differently, in a hypothetical situation, what would be better for my chances of matching into psychiatry residency?

Receiving an excellent score (260+) on step 2 CK and pass on p/f step 1
VS
Receiving decent scores on both (240+).

Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am a US citizen who did undergrad in US but attended medical school abroad for personal reasons. I am planning to return to the US, hoping to match into psychiatry residency.

I am debating whether to take step 1 P/F for the following reasons:

In the country that I got my MD from, the licensing exam is quite similar to step 2 CK in terms of scope and material. However, I would have to study quite hard for step 1, since I haven't touched upon that material in a long time.

Therefore, I am wondering whether I should devote all my efforts into getting an excellent score on step 2 CK, instead of "splitting" my effort between step 1 and step 2 ck. Of course, I realize getting an excellent score on both would be optimal.

Put differently, in a hypothetical situation, what would be better for my chances of matching into psychiatry residency?

Receiving an excellent score (260+) on step 2 CK and pass on p/f step 1
VS
Receiving decent scores on both (240+).

Thank you for your input.

Focus on CK and just pass Step 1. That said, most American students are told to give their all on both because the material builds off the prior, but in your case since you would have finished medical school, you're better off focusing on CK.

Reactions: 1 user
Focus on CK and just pass Step 1. That said, most American students are told to give their all on both because the material builds off the prior, but in your case since you would have finished medical school, you're better off focusing on CK.
Dear BacktotheBasics:

I really appreciate your advice.
However, I've heard advice from others that I should take step 1 scored for the following two reasons:
1)Step 2 CK builds upon Step 1 in terms of material (as you mentioned)
2) My primary "competitors" would be current MS3, who would have had taken step 1 scored. Since I am already disadvantaged from being an IMG, a P/F score would look strange and confer a further disadvantage, even if my Step 2 CK were to be stellar.
What's your opinion, particularly of the second point?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear BacktotheBasics:

I really appreciate your advice.
However, I've heard advice from others that I should take step 1 scored for the following two reasons:
1)Step 2 CK builds upon Step 1 in terms of material (as you mentioned)
2) My primary "competitors" would be current MS3, who would have had taken step 1 scored. Since I am already disadvantaged from being an IMG, a P/F score would look strange and confer a further disadvantage, even if my Step 2 CK were to be stellar.
What's your opinion, particularly of the second point?

Thank you.
I did not realize your cohort would have Step 1 scored. With that said, I don't think that having a P/F score will be a red flag or even confer a disadvantage assuming your Step 2 CK is 250+ (which should not be assumed). I'm inclined to say take both scored as you already seem to be leaning that route just to make yourself feel better. If it were me, I would take both scored just to align with my cohort like you said but if I didn't feel ready, I'd wait until P/G. Of note, I caution you from banking on scores. People have projected based off practice tests/perceived ability and ended up disappointed. Not saying that will happen to you, but it's just better to act without assuming you will have X or Y score.

Last edited:
Hi
I'm a US citizen but did my medical school from Pakistan in 2014. So technically I'm a US IMG. Now the biggest problem is that my step 1 and 2 CK score are low. 214 and 219 respectively. My CV is IM prone, I have research and experience in it. But I did not match this year. Can anyone give me sincere advice what to do ?
If some one would ask about my experience, I move to the us in 2019 and till then I was practising in home country.

Hi
I'm a US citizen but did my medical school from Pakistan in 2014. So technically I'm a US IMG. Now the biggest problem is that my step 1 and 2 CK score are low. 214 and 219 respectively. My CV is IM prone, I have research and experience in it. But I did not match this year. Can anyone give me sincere advice what to do ?
If some one would ask about my experience, I move to the us in 2019 and till then I was practising in home country.
This thread is for OP.
There is a tag in the upper right corner of the forum that reads "post thread."
You will get more targeted responses that way!

Hi

Seems like your real problem is years of graduation. I've seen students with those stats and similar YOG matching after a couple of attempts. I wouldnt loose hope, your scores are not terrible, I matched with lower scores back in 2013. I think you may have to look into audition rotations once covid allows, a CV that is IM directed can work well for FP. Im an FP graduated and work as a hospitalist (which is mainly for IM docs). By the time you apply have a couple of things that are important for the system these days, such as underserved involvement, taking classes on CDI "Clinical documentation improvement", or a course on POCUS (point of care ultrasound).