IMG Rad Onc Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AusMedStudent

Aussie Med Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm an Aus citizen doing medicine in Australia at the moment - just wondering how I could maximise my chances of matching in Rad Onc in the US? And anyone punting for Canadian residencies?

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you probably know that you have an uphill battle in front of you. Very few IMG's are able to obtain spots in radiation oncology in the US.

I would think you will need exceptional scores on your USMLE steps to even be considered. Beyond that, I think the best things you could do to improve your chances would be:

1) Get an MD/PhD..perhaps consider a PhD program in the US after your MD degree. PhD's are a sought-after commodity in this field.

2) Rotate through several radonc departments in the US to make contacts. Like everything else in this world, it's who you know. You may be able to impress a program enough to overcome the IMG stigma.

Best of luck to you! I'm an optimist & think it is possible for you..but you have to know how difficult it will be. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way in. ND.

eh, i wouldnt recommend getting a phd. you may need to do research and perhaps do residency at home and a fellowship in the us. this is one way.

"who you know" doesnt quite work that way. if you rotate through a place and do an outstanding job this helps. a good letter from someone who is respected and trusted matters. but "who you know" doesnt really cut it. too many people know many folks and never get a spot. give it your all but eralize you may need to do something lik a fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks stephew and napoleon...ye, understand its really difficult to break into rad onc as an IMG and will plan to rotate in US hospitals once I take my step 1, but the people who do match in rad onc as an IMG - who are they and any ideas what made them so attractive as a candidate (did they really all complete residencies beforehand in their hometown?)? eg. I've been browsing through a lot of programs and I think one of the residents at a name program (I think it was MDA) was from China?

And intersting point about the PhD - I'm not planning to do one but does a PhD detract from your application?

i know img's who matched in other competitive specialties (cards, ortho) who did anywhere from 2-5 years of research with a big name in the department that helped them get a spot at their 'home' institution.