Other IMG - reality of getting residency for a top-tier/middle hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinnamonstic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers as to what I could do to improve or whether I should lower my expectations....the dream was to apply for residency in a reputable hospital in General Surgery or Internal Medicine. I knew I had to score extremely highly to have even a blink of hope and I recently got my step results and don't think it's realistic anymore.

Step 1 Score - 244 (I was aiming for 250+ which was the lowest I scored on any of my NBMEs online)
Step 2 CS - passed 1st attempt

I am a UK citizen and went to Imperial College, London and graduated 4 years ago and have been practicing since in the UK. I have a first class honours Bachelors in Science degree also from Imperial.

I haven't done any observerships or USCEs yet and am having difficulty organising one.

My Questions are;
1) In peoples opinions/experiences do I have a chance of getting into a higher tier hospital?
2) What could I do to improve my chances?
3) I know that observerships are helpful, but I'm worried it may impact the score I could attain for CK due to the short time frame, so I don't know if its worth the gamble for me?

Members don't see this ad.