IMG requirements...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bisho79

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG, (Egypt) with 5 years experience in ophthalmology, and FRCS ophthalmology.

How difficult will it be for me to get a decent Ophtha residency in the US? And after I complete my USMLE steps 1 and 2, am I eligible?

Waiting for your kind responses. Thannk you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an IMG, (Egypt) with 5 years experience in ophthalmology, and FRCS ophthalmology.

How difficult will it be for me to get a decent Ophtha residency in the US? And after I complete my USMLE steps 1 and 2, am I eligible?

Waiting for your kind responses. Thannk you.

Based on what you mentioned, you can match in some of the top programs. Your only problem is to get an interveiw.

To get an interveiw at a decent programs you need Super USMLE scores or contacts .

Based on what you mentioned, you can match in some of the top programs. Your only problem is to get an interveiw.

To get an interveiw at a decent programs you need Super USMLE scores or contacts .

:confused: Really? Just b/c he has 5 years of experience in another country? I'm not quite sure that's correct.

OP, there are several threads about IMGs wanting ophtho in the U.S. Use the search function on SDN. Read them please as it may answer a few of your questions.

Short story: yes, it can be done. You need excellent USMLE scores, research and strong letters of recommendation from U.S. faculty. Do understand that even with all this, and your ophtho experience in Egypt, that the odds are stacked against you as there is no shortage of highly-qualified U.S. grads applying each year.

G'luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you to both who answered.

I do understand that its not easy. If anyone have else have a detailed opinion, or a personal experience or through somone he knows, please share it with me.

Thanks.

:confused: Really? Just b/c he has 5 years of experience in another country? I'm not quite sure that's correct.

OP, there are several threads about IMGs wanting ophtho in the U.S. Use the search function on SDN. Read them please as it may answer a few of your questions.

Short story: yes, it can be done. You need excellent USMLE scores, research and strong letters of recommendation from U.S. faculty. Do understand that even with all this, and your ophtho experience in Egypt, that the odds are stacked against you as there is no shortage of highly-qualified U.S. grads applying each year.

G'luck!

I agree international ophthalmology experience counts very little in the grand scheme of things. IMGs have a very difficult time matching into ophtho, period. There are many IMGs who are attendings in their own country, have dedicated countless years to research, etc applying every year who don't match.

''There are many IMGs who are attendings in their own country, have dedicated countless years to research, etc applying every year who don't match''-
that sounds like a bit of an overstatement to me! Yes, it is very tough for IMGs, but attendings with top creds applying year after year?! Not sure of that! Just my opinion.