IMG residency and PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mobrol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm soon to be carribean grad (2006) and I started to look for different requirements in various states. It seems PA is almost impossible to get into, they require proof of every rotation you've done, they want it to be filled by the hospital where it was done and sent directly to the licencing board.

Personally I don't care too much where I end up, but I was pretty upset about how extremely thorough they are. It seems that if you didn't do all greenbook clerkships

then you can't even get a residency, let alone a license in PA.

Kinda sad, but there's other places out there, I just wonder if any of you guys have found similar problems when researching when applying for residency

Members don't see this ad.

Licensure really depends on which medical school you attended, where your core clerkships were completed, and some other requirements that each individual state has. I attended a school in the caribbean, did all core clinicals and electives in greenbook hospitals, etc., and i can practice in any state. This is why it's very important to find out each state's requirements before attending medical school. For example, recently there have been individuals who think that if they attend a school that is not approved by state x, they will somehow challenge these rules in the future and be able to practice in that state. Later they will realize that it's not going to happen, and some will realize that maybe it would have been better to wait until one of the more established foreign medical schools would accept them. I suggest you find out what you need to do in order to be licensed by the state of PA and maybe there is something that you might be able to do. However, I have met a few people who do say that PA is one of the more anti-FMG state, in terms of beign very strict on which school you attend, rotations, etc.