IMG Trying to enter Anest Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vandomselaar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm an IMG who has recently passed Step 2 (229) last month and preparing now step 1. My goal is to enter in an anest program anywhere in US or Canada (preferably in CA where I'm living).
I have many questions about this but here just a few that don't let me sleep. Please if you know any..
1) Is my score good enough for an interview? and what do I need for step 1?
2) Are there any other way besides the matching program to reach an interview?
3) what exactly a clerckship is?
Thanks very much :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Vandomselaar

1) Is my score good enough for an interview? and what do I need for step 1?
2) Are there any other way besides the matching program to reach an interview?
3) what exactly a clerckship is?
Thanks very much :)

1. your score is pretty good, if u were a US student you could get a second tier program, and have interviews or shots at most first tier. Being an IMG you might get interviews at most second tier, and be able to get most other programs. Cali is tough, alot of people want to go there, so competition is strong even at medicore program. Apply to alot of programs, especially middle and lower tier program, and you will match.

2. with competition as it is Programs really aren't signing people outside the match?

3. I don't understand the question. Clerkships are the rotations we do in the various diciplines in 3rd and 4th years of med school.

Hey thank you so much for your advice and help.
Well the reason I was asking you about the clerkship was because from ECFMG they asked me about that and I did not have an idea what that was.
I was reading some other letters from the forum and I have the sensation that I'm lost there are many things that I don't really understand at all, like what does 1st and 2nd tier mean? Moreover, middle and lower programs?
Well I apologize for my ignorance.
There are people out there talking about the steps and they say that the most important thing for an IMG is the step 1 score and that you do not even need step 2 or doesn?t really matter your score in order to apply for the Match. This is really out of my understanding. I thought that you needed every single test to apply for the match (Step 1, 2, CSA and TOEFL). Well I think that my first step I did was wrong, I noticed that everybody out there take step1 before step 2. However, after 7 years of having finished my studies and after having finished 5 years of residency outside I felt more confident taking step 2 as a first step to get my credential.
Well I have 2 more questions and I really do appreciate if you could answer them.
If you have a complete residency outside, does it have any influence in the matching program?
I am an IMG and I have green card. Does it have any influence in the selection?
Thank you again.
;)

Members don't see this ad :)

Well I have 2 more questions and I really do appreciate if you could answer them.
If you have a complete residency outside, does it have any influence in the matching program?
I am an IMG and I have green card. Does it have any influence in the selection?
Thank you again.
;) [/B]

I can't really answer these questions, just don't know the answers, but you might have better luck if you pose them in the img forum.

As for program rankings, there are only about 140 anesthesia programs is the us, u can look them up on freida by state. Some one posted some ranking of the top 40 or so a year ago:

1) Best of the best: JHU, MGH, UCSF

2) Considered to be Elite programs: Alabama, Brigham, Columbia, Duke, Mayo, Michigan, Penn, Stanford, Wake Forest, U. Washington

3) Other excellent academic programs: Beth Israel, Cornell, Dartmouth, MC Wisconsin, Mt. Sinai, Northwestern, Penn State, UC Irvine, UCLA, UCSD, U. Chicago, U. Colorado, U. Florida, U. Iowa, UNC Chapel Hill, U. Pittsburgh, U. Rochester, U. Texas Galveston, Utah, UVA, Vanderbilt, Wash U, Yale

I found these rankings to be generally accurate. When i spoke earlier I meant first tier to mean the programs listed in #1 and 2 above, and a few of those in 3, and the bulk of those listed in #3 to mean second tier. You probably have a shot at those in #3, and apply to a bunch of programs that are not listed here, they are the middle and lower tier programs. And before anyone complains, lower tier doesn't mean the program is bad, or gives a poor education, i am just reffering to competitiveness. There are a couple of programs in that list that are competative by nature of their name, that don't have as good a program as the others, and vice versa.

Hey last thing
Do you know how much you make as a resident?
Thanks