IMG with board orthopedic

Started by Kfbeidas
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kfbeidas

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello I am an IMG with a modest step 1 score planning to take all my boards

I was planning to do resdency here in my country then after I am board certified here I can applay to the US match

Does anyone know what are my chances of getting accepted I have LOR from US Doctors and I hopefully will have 3 or more publications
 
Hello I am an IMG with a modest step 1 score planning to take all my boards

I was planning to do resdency here in my country then after I am board certified here I can applay to the US match

Does anyone know what are my chances of getting accepted I have LOR from US Doctors and I hopefully will have 3 or more publications


Yes, might be hard, but as long as is possible,then you should try it! Myself is and IMG from Mexico with orthopedic surgery boards completed. I want to move to the US and almost have my ecfmg certification. Don't let anyone tell you that it is impossible, the last time I heard that word was when my attending in Mexico told me that reading a EKG was impossible for and orthopedic resident. And here i am. Step 1 and 2 cleared, just missing CS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, might be hard, but as long as is possible,then you should try it! Myself is and IMG from Mexico with orthopedic surgery boards completed. I want to move to the US and almost have my ecfmg certification. Don't let anyone tell you that it is impossible, the last time I heard that word was when my attending in Mexico told me that reading a EKG was impossible for and orthopedic resident. And here i am. Step 1 and 2 cleared, just missing CS.
Learning a skill and overcoming a system are two very different things. Ortho is incredibly competitive even for top US MD candidates. IMGs and DOs having a hard time with ACGME ortho programs is the reality based on numbers.
 
Helo all,
I am an IMG from nepal. I completed my MBBS in sep 2012 and did a job as a house office at a hospital till april 2014 and got admitted for postgraduation in orthopedics in may 2014. The PG orthopedics is a 3 year course in my country and I have only 3 months left now to complete it. The thing is that I got a green card few months back and now I am a LPR. And I love ortho very much. I am planning to complete my PG here then do the USMLE steps 1,2 CK and CS within a year and apply for a residency match for 2019. But the thing is it will be 7 yrs since I graduated from medical school when I apply. So my first question is does that 7 year filter me out as old graduate or do I have a chance for match.
And second question is do I really have a chance in ortho match if I get a decent score in steps or do I opt for other subjects straight away.
Does having green card favour me or it just doesnt matter at all...
I have two publications both related to orthopedics and I have been a practising doctor ever since I graduated with no lagging period.
Thanking you in advance for your reply...