IMG with no Residency Interviews for 2018 match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saz786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I could really use some advice here. I am an International Medical Graduate of 2013 and Step 1 score of 208 1st attempt, CK 232 second attempt, CS passed first attempt, 2-3 years of United States clinical experience, and a U.S Citizen. I have applied to programs all over states in Family Medicine, Peds and Internal medicine. Unfortunately, I did not get any Interviews this year and am wondering what I can do to increase my chances for next year match. Please guys, any advice will be helpful in this situation. Should I start preparing for Step 3 to help increase my chances or do some research?

Members don't see this ad.

you still have chance at post match unfilled positions in march. try to get a foot in the door, by trying for prelim surgery/im/transitional year/research PGY1 on NRMP website. if you don't match, try do some research at university or VA with residency programs in the specialty you want to do. passing step 3 may help, but not much. pros of passing step 3 is that you dont have stress balancing intern year and studying step 3. also, some programs would not let an intern go to next PGY year or the resident would not graduate from from the program if they did not pass step 3. if you have the time and means to do it or study while doing the research job, it doesnt hurt to take step 3.

Reactions: 1 user
you still have chance at post match unfilled positions in march. try to get a foot in the door, by trying for prelim surgery/im/transitional year/research PGY1 on NRMP website. if you don't match, try do some research at university or VA with residency programs in the specialty you want to do. passing step 3 may help, but not much. pros of passing step 3 is that you dont have stress balancing intern year and studying step 3. also, some programs would not let an intern go to next PGY year or the resident would not graduate from from the program if they did not pass step 3. if you have the time and means to do it or study while doing the research job, it doesnt hurt to take step 3.

Thank you JPEGpeggy for taking the time out to reply. I will definitely take the advice and try to do what I can based on what you said.

Taking and passing step 3 would definitely help! one of the major concerns for programs with applicants who have low step score/multiple attempts is that they may not pass step 3. there are still programs that will have open spots after the match so keep your eyes open for those too. if you have to take a year off i would recommend hands on experience over shadowing. research and publications are always good too.

Taking and passing step 3 would definitely help! one of the major concerns for programs with applicants who have low step score/multiple attempts is that they may not pass step 3. there are still programs that will have open spots after the match so keep your eyes open for those too. if you have to take a year off i would recommend hands on experience over shadowing. research and publications are always good too.

How can I get hands on experience being an IMG? Majority of programs only allow observership. Can you please provide some information regarding the hands on experience please. I have tried getting into research but no luck with that so far.

Did you apply to tri years at places that have Fm programs that tend to match imgs?

Does your school give you the ability to get a medical license in all 50 states?

Worst case scenario, find a fm program that take imgs in a place no one wants to live and go do an observership there and try to work your way in

Reactions: 1 users
For research, try SDN job boards, NIH, try to contact a center with research, ask the people you are working with. Have a CV ready. Research also helps, because american medical school graduates also do research. Also some the residency programs may expect you do some research during residency.

OP- could you clarify the time frame a bit? IMG 2013 means you graduated in 2013, yes? What has been occupying your time between graduation and now? Or did you mean to say 2017 graduate?

Did you apply to tri years at places that have Fm programs that tend to match imgs?

Does your school give you the ability to get a medical license in all 50 states?

Worst case scenario, find a fm program that take imgs in a place no one wants to live and go do an observership there and try to work your way in

Thank you for taking interest in my concerns, I really appreciate it. What did you mean by tri years? I have applied to IMG friendly FM programs all over states but unfortunately no luck.
Yes, my college does give me the ability to work in all 50 states.
Any suggestions on how I can get into an observership where IMGs will be taken. Do you think I should go to each hospital's website and go from there by e-mailing them or would paying the program for an observership would be a better option?

OP- could you clarify the time frame a bit? IMG 2013 means you graduated in 2013, yes? What has been occupying your time between graduation and now? Or did you mean to say 2017 graduate?
I graduated from medical school 2013. After graduation, I did my Internship at the hospital associated with my school. After I was done, I did observerships at different clinics and studied for my steps here in the U.S. A lot of my observerships had us study topics for their specialty which took out a lot of my time as well.

i'm in the same boat - 1 IV and IMG YOG way out - so i've been looking to find an observership/research anything - so far the only free one has been unmatchedmd dot com the site

In addition to some of the advice given above, I would definitely recommend that you register for and attend the AAFP annual conference (2-4 of August, Kansas City) if you’re able. There you can get in direct contact with program directors from all over the country. Talking with them and making yourself known to them will definitely increase your chances for an interview.

Hope that helps!
All the best!

i'm in the same boat - 1 IV and IMG YOG way out - so i've been looking to find an observership/research anything - so far the only free one has been unmatchedmd dot com the site

Whether you have a realistic chance at this point depends on if you are a US citizen, what your step scores are (and if you passed on the first attempt), and how much US clinical experience you have. If you failed one of your steps, or if you have literally no USCE without a realistic way to obtain any... nobody wants to give up the dream when they are this far down this road, but at a certain point you just have to cut your losses and stop digging an even bigger hole.

Assuming that is not the case and that you have stats/experience that are potentially acceptable, you saw last year that your application is not enticing programs on its surface so you're going to need to make connections at one specific program and put all your eggs in that basket. Probably your best shot is to find a research position at one of these IMG-friendly institutions and make connections within the residency program. Of course, lots of people in your shoes are trying to do the same thing, so going to a conference to get your foot in the door may not be a bad idea.