IMG , working in Canada looking to practice in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicine722

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m an IMG ( international medical grade) & have been working as a GP (general physician) in Saskatchewan , Canada for 3 years. I have LMCC ( Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada) and been recently granted CCFP (certification in college of family physicians). I was wondering how I can secure an internal medicine spot in US.
Is there any way I could make that 3 years of general practice in Canada count as a year or 2 of residency in the US? Has anyone encountered a similar scenario? Would appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anything will count. Because ACGME IM residencies are funded for 3 years. That is my understanding. Why do u want to do IM?

You would have to redo residency from scratch, why not work as a family doctor in the states? Given how easy it is to refer off to OBGYN and pedi there, you can essentially function as general IM

Working in the US as Family doctor needs FM residency. But maybe in some states it works without residency