IMGs who matched ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkmansaad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, now that the match thread is reaching epic proportions I would like to ask a favor = would any IMG's that matched this year mind posting where they did, and if comfortable also your applicant stats? Hey a lot of the programs on here are def not accomodating to foreign/carib grads so i just want an idea of who out there is offering interviews and who isnt and what I need to have to be considered a realistic applicant. I mean I think i have a great CV but the scarlet letters IMG are still on it, know what I mean?

But seriously congrats again to those who matched, i would like to do so one day, so help a brotha out!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, now that the match thread is reaching epic proportions I would like to ask a favor = would any IMG's that matched this year mind posting where they did, and if comfortable also your applicant stats? Hey a lot of the programs on here are def not accomodating to foreign/carib grads so i just want an idea of who out there is offering interviews and who isnt and what I need to have to be considered a realistic applicant. I mean I think i have a great CV but the scarlet letters IMG are still on it, know what I mean?

But seriously congrats again to those who matched, i would like to do so one day, so help a brotha out!

I know for a fact that MCW will consider Carib grads. That said, they only look at those with fairly high board scores (>230-240).

yeah it would cool if someone could shed some light on this topic. I know its getting increasingly hard for IMG's to place in a specialty like anesthesia so any information pertaining to programs would be super valuable, we need all the leg-up we can get. So like darkmansaad said, help a brotha out!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the list of matches for SGU and Ross. That will give you a good idea of where they interviewed and matched.

Remember geography will also play a role in where you interview. Also, away rotations may or may not help your cause. Dont be shy about applying, an SGU grad matched at Stanford this year. I am sure he/she was a strong applicant and left a good impression during interviews.

rlxdmd

here is the link:

https://baysgu35.sgu.edu/ERD/2009/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

There is a thread on this forum dealing with the match list of various schools. I just posted for SGU, check it out.

Cook county hospital/chicago is usually takes many IMGs

I don't see any Stanford matches after searching pgy-1-pgy-8 grads on that list..for any specialty.

Check out the list of matches for SGU and Ross. That will give you a good idea of where they interviewed and matched.

Remember geography will also play a role in where you interview. Also, away rotations may or may not help your cause. Dont be shy about applying, an SGU grad matched at Stanford this year. I am sure he/she was a strong applicant and left a good impression during interviews.

rlxdmd

here is the link:

https://baysgu35.sgu.edu/ERD/2009/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

Do not mix two totally different categories of graduates - Carib grads are not IMGs - those are the ones who finished their home school in the country of origin. Carib medshcools have American based program( as do some divisions in the Universities of European countries), contrary to the medschools in most other countries.

well w/e i thought caribbean were IMGs from "international" schools whereas other people who graduated from the country of their origin were "fmgs" as in "foreign." If my terminology is wrong, sorry but that was the impression I was under. Nonetheless, the bias is heavy on us no matter where you put it so in real world terms i dont see much of a difference.....

well w/e i thought caribbean were IMGs from "international" schools whereas other people who graduated from the country of their origin were "fmgs" as in "foreign." If my terminology is wrong, sorry but that was the impression I was under. Nonetheless, the bias is heavy on us no matter where you put it so in real world terms i dont see much of a difference.....

Honestly haven't seen any especial bias against the Caribbean grads in my program - they are all perceived the same way as AMGs. Every year we have a handful. That is not necessarily true for the real international medical graduates - only the best ones get in. And there is a huge difference - Carib grads usually are fresh graduates to be, whereas IMGs are usually not the MS IV applicants at the moment of Match season - they usually have graduated some time ago and many have experience in their country of origin. They also usually have immigration issues ( need visas) whereas Caribbean grads in the vast majority are Americans. Then comes the language and so on and so on. So the situation in reality differs a lot between IMGs and Carribean grads.

I don't see any Stanford matches after searching pgy-1-pgy-8 grads on that list..for any specialty.

I went and searched for some of friends that graduated with me -- several of them and myself, don't show up on the list. If the list was incomplete for my year, I wouldn't be surprised if it was incomplete for other years. It's not just a non-NRMP match thing. I signed outside the match for my prelim year, but matched for my anesthesia residency. I also wouldn't be surprised if Ross' list had missing names also.

Interestingly, Cook only took 1 person through match (per match_outcomes.pdf). Did they pre-match a ton of IMGs?

Yope, they just added afew more spots for pgy1 and didn't have time to invite so many.

Do not mix two totally different categories of graduates - Carib grads are not IMGs - those are the ones who finished their home school in the country of origin. Carib medshcools have American based program( as do some divisions in the Universities of European countries), contrary to the medschools in most other countries.

Just to clarify, Caribbean grads are indeed IMGs. There are two categories of IMGs, the ones who come to the US from their home country and attended med school outside of the US (most likely in their home country). Then there are the ones who are US citizens who studied medicine outside of the US (Caribbean is outside the US). The former are just referred to as IMGs whereas the latter are referred to as USIMGs. The term FMG is supposedly now replaced with the designation of IMG, but the FMG term still gets used by quite a bit of people. This may add some confusion, but in a nutshell IMG = FMG, while USIMG = US citizen who did med school outside of the US.