tabishis

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2009
Status
So, I've been in the U.S. for 9 years now and I've been working fulltime since. I worked 70+ hours/week(odd jobs) and took college level courses fulltime until I finished my undergrad in Telecommunications. Then I got a job at a bank(in 2008) and work 40 hours/week now. Due to more than fulltime(70+ hours) workload I failed some classes(Telecomm and Gen. Ed. courses) but retook those and passed. Would medical schools(MD and DO) consider my history full of fulltime work and struggle thru out college years to pay bills? I came to the U.S. with only $200 and had NO other option other than working hell lot of hours.

FYI, I do not fall in the URM category.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So, I've been in the U.S. for 9 years now and I've been working fulltime since. I worked 70+ hours/week(odd jobs) and took college level courses fulltime until I finished my undergrad in Telecommunications. Then I got a job at a bank(in 2008) and work 40 hours/week now. Due to more than fulltime(70+ hours) workload I failed some classes(Telecomm and Gen. Ed. courses) but retook those and passed. Would medical schools(MD and DO) consider my history full of fulltime work and struggle thru out college years to pay bills? I came to the U.S. with only $200 and had NO other option other than working hell lot of hours.

FYI, I do not fall in the URM category.
I think your personal statement could win you some powerful fans.

But to get somebody to read your statement, your academic numbers need to be reasonable. You'll be screened on your cumulative undergrad GPAs, overall and science, as well as your MCAT score. For MD schools, average matriculant GPA is about 3.6, and average matriculant MCAT is about 32. For DO schools, it's about 3.5 & 27. DO schools forgive the old grade on a retake; MD schools do not.

Success despite suffering makes for a compelling med school app, if it's accompanied by good numbers. If you don't have good numbers, browse the postbac forum for low GPA comeback stories.

Start volunteering in a clinical setting immediately, if med school's your goal.

Best of luck to you.