Imminent changes in CK starting from Aug 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i4eye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lots of rumours around this time- worst one I've heard is that they will be asking lots of basic science stuff in CK!!!:mad: In the official site all I could find was the change in number of items and 'pool of items'! Well, literally that could be anything really!! Anybody knows little bit more about it? What the heck, man? I'm pretty p****d off! Excuse my language!!

Members don't see this ad.

that's not good. what basic sci's... bchem... molec.. the nitty gritty stuff?
what else have you heard?
they really thru my whole app. process off, with the friggin score report delay.

Thanks for the heads up, even though all it does is slightly compound the stress. How can you prepare for something that's in flux and never before seen. Bogus!

And October 7th???!!! I have to wait nearly 2 months...craziness.

They should have pushed this update back until past Sept 1, as many people taking it now would like their scores ready for ERAS on submission. Also, why stress about changes if you don't know what they are. You're only speculating more basic science on the exam, and ever if there is (unlikely) peolpe will still have scores relative to the curve.

Members don't see this ad :)
Found this on the website:

"USMLE Review: Update

June 22, 2009

A summary of the findings and recommendations of the Committee to Evaluate the USMLE Program is available here:

Download PDF version of summary report
The Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB), and the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) are pleased to announce that all three organizations have endorsed the USMLE Composite Committee’s recommendations to revise the USMLE. These recommendations include: 1) sharpening the assessment focus on examinees’ readiness for supervised and for unsupervised practice; 2) adopting a general competencies schema for the overall design, development, and scoring of USMLE; and 3) emphasizing the importance of the scientific foundations of medicine in all components of the assessment process. The staff has also been charged with enhancing the assessment of clinical skills and developing measures of an examinee’s ability to access and apply information to solving clinical problems.

This endorsement marks the start of a multi-year process. During 2009, staff will:

Convene a group of past and present Step Committee members to advise staff throughout the revision process;
  • Review the balance of content in the Step 1 examination, with a goal of enhancing clinical relevance;
  • Begin developmental efforts to increase representation of foundational science material in Steps 2CK and 3,
  • Direct test committee members to develop items that more closely reflect the residency practice of recent medical school graduates;
  • Elaborate a timeline of developmental activities and implementation steps that may include changes to the Step 2 CS examination, new types of assessment activities, and other innovations needed to broadly measure the competencies of physicians who seek licensure to practice medicine within the United States.
We anticipate periodic updates that describe ongoing activities and planned changes, and will post interim progress reports to the USMLE website."

So perhaps not quite yet...one can only hope..:luck: