Immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschool08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!! So this might be a stupid qst, but here it goes anyways!

Although it may be still too early to ask this, but do many students choose to become immunologists? If I were to choose this, would I be pretty much dealing with clinical research for most of the time?

The reason I am asking this is because I really like studing about autoimmune diseases or immunodefieciency problems, but I just wasn't sure what field of medicine deals with this.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!! So this might be a stupid qst, but here it goes anyways!

Although it may be still too early to ask this, but do many students choose to become immunologists? If I were to choose this, would I be pretty much dealing with clinical research for most of the time?

The reason I am asking this is because I really like studing about autoimmune diseases or immunodefieciency problems, but I just wasn't sure what field of medicine deals with this.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

IM residency followed by a fellowship in allergy/immuno. Rheum docs deal a lot with autoimmune diseases as well.

Allergy/Immunology is a fellowship that any internal medicine OR pediatric residency trained physician may undertake (it is a separate board not under the auspice of ABIM or ABP)

Rheumatology also deals extensively with the immune system. It is a fellowship. Adult rheumatology after internal medicine residency, or pediatric rheymatology after pediatric residency.