Impact of attempt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amiracle2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all..!!

How will having an attempt in step 3 (High fail of 189:(:( ) and not passing it before applying this year effect my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Is a potential outcome of discussion surrounding this question that you decide not to apply at all? Because if you're still going to apply regardless, then I don't really see the point of asking. You failed step 3, a test that examines some of the more practical aspects of basic medicine. It's not a good look. It will likely have an effect on your application. That said, I'm sure there are people out there who have failed step 3 and gone on to obtain residency positions. Apply and see what happens.

By the way, when used to discuss issues of change, affect is a verb, and effect is a noun. The former should have been used in your question.

And yes, effect can be a verb too, as a synonym for 'cause' or 'bring about'.

Not clear to me if you are IMG or AMG. Makes some difference I guess.

I could write more

You will need to address this either in PS (ask others if this should be the case) and on unterviews how to field questions on what went wrong and how you intend to fix this.

So what I'm gathering is ... either you didn't match into a categorical spot and essentially failed to extract the basics of medicine in your intern year or that you are an FMG who is now in the bottom of the FMG pile in the eyes of US residency programs. To echo the above, it may be time to jump ship.

Then I pat myself on the back for my post demonstrating most willingness to help and least desire to harm

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously you can PM me, I promise confidentiality and no nit picking put downs

I don't know if I have answers for you, or if you like the sound of what I have to say, but I promise a professional and kind tone (I don't always do that but I still have a soft spot for the wounded)

Seriously you can PM me, I promise confidentiality and no nit picking put downs

I don't know if I have answers for you, or if you like the sound of what I have to say, but I promise a professional and kind tone (I don't always do that but I still have a soft spot for the wounded)
Thank you again..I really appreciate your concern.

Reactions: 1 user