Impact of youthful appearance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josh85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm applying for admissions to medical school this year (2013 entering class) and was curious as to how I would be affected as a medical student if I have a youthful appearance. Even though I am 24, people actually think I'm 15-16. I was playing basketball the other day and people were surprised that I was in college-they all thought I was a high school freshman. I get carted to watch rated R movies ALL the time. I was wondering how this would affect me as a medical student, how do you guys think this will affect me during my clinical rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably delay a few years until you start looking like you're in your 20's. Basically, you don't have a chance.

I don't think it will matter. You might get more "how old are you?" questions from patients, but I don't think that is common anyhow.

Members don't see this ad :)
While my appearance is older than I actually am I was 3 years younger than the other youngest people in class because I skipped some classes in high school. I believe this has somewhat worked against me as I was ruled out before the interview at some schools. Pure speculation though.

Medical schools like older students (notice, not old, but older) - students that know what they want and are mature (though the correlation doesn't seem to be that high). I would still try to get into medical school if I were you but dress super professionally, and act most mature. A suit/dress can make you look 2-3 years older. Also pick a hair style that will make you look more mature. I know this seems a little silly but I feel like I have been somewhat in your boat! Good luck!

PS: I don't think it will matter during medical school or rotations - it's about how you act and how comfortable you are. If my doctor looks young yet knows what he/she does I have no issues with it. It's all about getting in, that's all!!

Last edited:
if you PM me your pic I will give you a honest opinion. Also, wear clothes and have a haircut that all spell "mature." This alone can add 2 years.

I agree with others - sport a more mature hairstyle. Bulk up if you're a guy & wear light make-up if you're a girl.

Checking in the other day at a hotel, the lady was like
"What? How old are you? Can I see an ID?"
*hands ID over*
"Oh, I thought you were 15..."

:eyebrow:

I honestly don't remember how it impacted me on the interview trail, but from personal experience (looking younger than I am, not actually BEING younger) I don't think it's affected me much on my rotations. Sure I get a few comments about how I look, but generally if I'm wearing a white coat and act confidently that's enough to get the confidence of my patients.

Moving to pre-allo.

Though it's important to note that you'll want a clean shave for interviews.

Clean shave as in no facial hair? Or clean shave as in well manicured and trimmed facial hair?

Clean shave as in no facial hair? Or clean shave as in well manicured and trimmed facial hair?

If you have a beard, it has to look respectable.

OP, since you look young now you'll still look fairly young when you're 40 (which is definitely a plus).

Neat trim. It needn't be no hair, just well-maintained. I would probably avoid anything longer than a 5-6 clipper and make sure you comb it down and trim it well the day you interview. Basically, you need to look professional.

If you have a beard, it has to look respectable.

OP, since you look young now you'll still look fairly young when you're 40 (which is definitely a plus).

Neat trim. It needn't be no hair, just well-maintained. I would probably avoid anything longer than a 5-6 clipper and make sure you comb it down and trim it well the day you interview. Basically, you need to look professional.

Ok just wanted to make sure. Because I keep my facial hair very well kept and would probably look like a 2 year old without it so I refuse to be clean shaven.

Assuming you get in, just go with it and tell everyone that you are 15 years old to intimidate them. Tell them you're going to be the next Doogie Howser.

First world problems.

Consider it as a compliment OP, looking young is a good thing. I myself look fairly young and got complimented on my looks all the time when I did volunteer work at the hospital.