Impaired physicians...

Started by tatabox80
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if any of you knew of any good studies out there that investigates physicians with substance abuse. I find this topic to be very interesting and would like to read up a little on it. Thanks.
 
tatabox80 said:
Just wondering if any of you knew of any good studies out there that investigates physicians with substance abuse. I find this topic to be very interesting and would like to read up a little on it. Thanks.
It is an important topic. I think that there are few actual peer reviewed outcomes studies. I found the links below just by googling "ohio impaired physician recovery". It's perhaps a place to start.

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2005/07_05/comm_blondell.htm

For example, in your state...

(BTW, Milo--you are ethically required to be a "narc" if you know of a professional colleague whose impairment is potentially dangerous to his/her patients. Physicians recovery programs, like the one above, will allow one to maintain their license and keep working under appropriate accountability.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What exactly does impaired mean? If a physician has a mental disorder under good control, are they still impaired??