implants in aegd/gpr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ironlung

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know what gpr and/or aegd programs do the most implant procedures? i know jacksonville aegd does lots of implants. what about all the other programs?

Members don't see this ad.

come on guys...there is not one person out there that does not know anything about this topic? any help would really help.

I just attended a lecture today from a GPR program. They explained quiet a bit about how they line up implant cases and split them between residents etc. Bottom line is, most GPR AEGD programs are going to say that they give residents implant exposure. It is then upto the applicant to figure out what they want from it. According to me, its best to look into larger community hospitals in the suburbs which provide care to middle income groups. This way, there will be a substantial number of cases. If you go to a major academic center, the implants will always be placed by the OS people and restored by the Pros people (atleast that is how it work at my instituton and 3 others around me. I also worked at an excellent GPR in an inner city environment. The exposure that the residents got there was amazing, but unfortunately, there wern't substantial implant cases due to the economic status of the patient population. Also within these community hospital programs you get to place and restore the implant as opposed to just restoring it... so these are the things I would inquire about.

This is totally second hand info, but I've heard that the VA Baltimore does a lot of implants.

You really have to ask the residents at programs you are considering the extent of their experiences in implants and other procedures you are interested in doing during residency.