Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Importance of a Science Major

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MTB523, Apr 26, 2002.

1. MTB523

MTB523 New Member

I was wondering if it has been extremely beneficial for those of you who have majored in Biology or BioChem, and if it has been a real disadvantage for any of you who may have majored in a social science or English, or pretty much anything else.

For me, I think that taking mostly nothing but Biology and Chemistry would be way too boring! And if you aren't really interested in your classes, then you aren't going to have as high of a GPA. I was thinking about majoring in Psychology because it is something that I find interesting, and it also has some required natural sciences.

Any thoughts on going beyond the stereotypical BioChem major for something else? My only concern would be that I wouldn't score as high on the MCAT and also wouldn't be as prepared as the science majors.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. moo

moo 1K Member

No disadvantage at all. I majored in phys/math and did fine on the bio section on the MCAT (12).

Psych is actually a common major. A lot of premeds take it because it's a bit easier than the sciences.

Good luck!

4. Smurfette

Smurfette Antagonized by Azrael
    Administrator Physician

Attending Physician
    I personally think most of the non-science majors have a tougher time in med school. Some have a solid science background, but most of the history or foreign language majors I've encountered took the bare minimum classes to get thru admissions and the MCAT. In med school, some classes start you off as if you know nothing, but others do an intro lecture covering material equivalent to two semesters of a college level course. (like biochem or genetics, for example) So, people without that background are at a disadvantage in that they have to learn all that background info too (which may be 'assumed to be known' and therefore is mentioned but not explained well in lecture). I know people have been frustrated because they felt initially 'behind' compared to their classmates because of this.

I think it's great to take non-science classes or to be a non-science major...definitely take classes you are interested in--plus med schools LOVE diversity!!...but I would recommend you to take some 'extra' science classes as well (not advanced levels, but 1st semester biochem, basic genetics, and maybe an undergrad basic physiology course would be to your advantage).

That's my two cents...

5. Asclepius

Asclepius 1K Member

Medical Student
    Welcome to SDN...I'm a bit new myelf still. I was graduated with degree in Religion, Philosophy, and Greek, having taken only two science classes as an undergraduate :cool: . Since graduation I've completed the med. school prerequisites yet no science beyond that. My AMCAS MCAT practice test scores were in the mid-30's, but I won't know how well I did on the real thing for several more weeks.

My advice: do what interests you...if you study independantly you can still do very well on the MCAT without advanced science. If anything, an interesting major will distinguish you from the plethoras of science majors-- provided that you can prove your ability in the (relatively) few science courses you take and on the MCAT.

My humanities degree gave me a tremendous advantage on the Verbal Reasoning and essay portions of the MCAT.