Importance of AOA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theredbird

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

posted this in the sticky thread, but figured i could open it up to the larger pool to get more eyes on it.

first thanks to all of you and for the great advice and neutropeniaboy for that awesome pinned post! i'm about to finish my MS1 year, and my grades have been decent, but not all Honors. summary: 2 passes, 1 HP, 1 honors (this current block, trending that way) for first year.

I think I've finally figured out how to approach medical school studying, so i aim to work my butt off and try to honor everything 2nd year.

Research/letters: I've gotten to know the Chair of my ENT department really well through an IRB we're working on(but no home residency in ENT), have been working with another academic ENT in our department on an IRB, and should have my name on a manuscript in the microbiology dept as well. I plan on continuing these projects into my 2nd year and beyond. This summer I'm researching at an external institution (one with a residency program), and my future PI there has stated I can get on a few papers as contributing author. Summary: I should have a great LOR from my chair, one academic ENT from my dept, and my PI from this summer.

My question- My school almost exclusively uses 1st-year and 2nd year grades for AOA, so I'm thinking I likely will not get it since I have those two passes (btw, pass is anything below 87 for us...I got 86's in both "passed" classes).

Should I start thinking about ruling out ENT solely based on the fact that I likely will not get Junior AOA?

Plan on doing well in 2nd year, STEP and rotations, of course, but the past is the past and if I need to adjust expectations based on it, rather start early!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure others more qualified will reply, but I can assure you that if you just look at charting outcomes you will see that AOA, while helpful, is absolutely not crucial for ENT. If you follow through on the research plan, nail the boards, and get some great clinical grades where it counts, plus LORs, no one if going to care about you not being AOA because you didn't get honors in biochem..

Granted I am partly projecting since I too am an M1 in a similar situation and aspiration.. Nevertheless I bet most of the attendings here would agree with me

thanks for the replies everyone! would love to hear resident/attending opinions as well

Last edited: