Importance of Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MWH514

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I know that good grades are absolutely essential to even be a candidate for vet school, but how important are they to the schools in comparison with animal experience, test scores, etc.? I've seen some people on here say they got a C and then were worried they may not get accepted? I guess I'm just worried because I got a C in OChem I, but I'm currently in the A-B range in OChem II. Does that help downplay my C in OChem I grade at all?

And on an unrelated topic...Is there a ranking of the "best" vet schools anywhere online? I know it is really a personal preference/fit thing for each student but I thought I had heard there was a list.

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

US News has a list of "best" schools, but I don't know how they rank them. I believe Cornell is on top.

As for grades, it seems to depend on the school, but most seem to look at the entire package. If you have any idea what schools you might like to apply to, you could look at their websites to find out how they evaluate applicants. Most schools have formulas they use - 25% overall GPA, 25% GRE, 25% animal experience, 25% subjective/interview, that sort of thing. Many websites also have statistics on admitted students - average GRE scores and GPA, among other things. It can help you see where you stand and what areas you might need to work on.

You can still get into a great vet school if O-chem is your only C. Downplay it by doing well in O-Chem 2, any associated labs, andn doing well in biochemistry. That way you can prove that Ochem 1 was just a difficult subject for whatever reason, but you mastered the skills and you can handle even more difficult subjects, which rely on your Ochem I skills. Also, doing well in your bio classes will make you a strong candidate - and Im sure that the admissions committee wont even focus on your Ochem grade. Plus, its the GPA that matters, grade wise, so just do well to balance out the hit from the C.

As far as best vet schools: The current "ranking" by USnews is:
1. Cornell
2. Colorado State
3. UPenn
4. NC State
5. Texas A&M
6. Michigan State
7. Ohio State
8. Wisconsin
9. Florida
10. Georgia

But I truly believe that you just need to visit the schools and learn about them to see what fits your needs and goals - that is what truly classifies the school as being BEST for you.

Darla

Thanks a lot for your help!!!