Importance of NBDE

Started by 997GT3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

997GT3

There is no substitute.
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Out of state schools are just as expensive as private schools, but some give plenty of time to study for Boards. My state school (MCG) is dirt cheap, but gives relatively very little time to study for the NBDE (I don't remember how long). Most of their students who've taken it say that, compared to students at some other schools, they hardly had time to prepare fully for it. Is it more worth it to attend a school like UPENN and have plenty of time to study for the NBDE, or go to an inexpensive school and not do as well as you could've?

---EDIT---
Could you guys please post the amount of days or weeks allocated by your school for the NBDE? Thanks. It's for comparison reasons.
 
Out of state schools are just as expensive as private schools, but some give plenty of time to study for Boards. My state school (MCG) is dirt cheap, but gives relatively very little time to study for the NBDE (I don't remember how long). Most of their students who've taken it say that, compared to students at some other schools, they hardly had time to prepare fully for it. Is it more worth it to attend a school like UPENN and have plenty of time to study for the NBDE, or go to an inexpensive school and not do as well as you could've?

I would go for the cheaper school. As long as you pass, your NBDE scores are only really important if you want to specialize. If you do want to specialize, just make studying for the NBDE a priority - study for it while you are still taking classes and take whatever free time the school gives you for the boards to study hard core. You can do well on the NBDE as long as you manage your time well.
 
went to vcu. we finished path june 22nd and the boards were to be takine on july 19th. so a totaly of 3.5 weeks -- plenty of time if you know the material...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
went to vcu. we finished path june 22nd and the boards were to be takine on july 19th. so a totaly of 3.5 weeks -- plenty of time if you know the material...

Wow. That's a lot of time haha. I know MCG gives at most 1 week. Can't be sure of the certain amount of days though.
 
That would be a ridiculous reason to choose a dental school, plain and simple.
 
I highly doubt any school "gives" you time to study unless you are counting the break between quarters or semesters. YOu are supposed to study during the school year on your own time.
 
I highly doubt any school "gives" you time to study unless you are counting the break between quarters or semesters. YOu are supposed to study during the school year on your own time.

I remember reading a thread that had members post their school and the amount of days their school allocated for them, specifically for studying NBDE. One reason I didn't post examples of them was that I couldn't find that thread in my history, since it was over a week ago.

Maybe it was from dentaltown...can't be sure.
 
It is true that some schools incorporate more time than others for boards. I think it is important to be aware of your goals - are you planning to specialize? If so - boards are much more important. However, i think that "study time" would be low on my list of selection criteria. We had a limited amount of time before boards (2 weeks) so I just started studying earlier than friends at other schools who were allocated longer periods for review (with similar results).