importance of personal statement/ secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

indigoblue

after applying to 35 schools and receiving almost all their secondaries (30), yet only one interview (which was offered over the phone when i called the admissions office) , i am convinced that the personal statement and secondary essays are crucial for getting interviews.

if i don't end up getting in this cycle, then my computer is going to hate me for all the new essays it's going to get!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Lochmoor
Of course, that's what separates the whole process from being a straight numbers game.

Exactly!

From what I have gleamed. The MCAT and GPA/curriculum is what is used first to weed out applicants. Next those that made the numbers cut are usually sent secondaries, which are then reviewed with their personal statement to see if commitment/experience is an 'issue'. If everything 'clicks', then the applicant is asked for an interview, at which point is determined whether or not to be a socio/psychopath. If all checks out, the applicant will be ranked according to the overall application; at which point GPA and MCAT combined with essays and interview style is given some sort of subjective feeling score by each of the admissions committee members. The rest is history.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by indigoblue
after applying to 35 schools and receiving almost all their secondaries (30), yet only one interview (which was offered over the phone when i called the admissions office) , i am convinced that the personal statement and secondary essays are crucial for getting interviews.

What makes you say that? Did you write a really bad PS?

i know for a fact that my ps and secondary responses have helped me get where i am today. those suckers are hella important and even though getting them out quickly was a priority...i always took the time i needed to make sure my responses...esp to the schools i wanted to attend were good.

Don't mean to hijack this thread by I am currently working on my PS for this upcoming cycle. Do you (whomever) recommend the essay editing services?

IF so, which one? I need to make this PS count.

THX
AL

i wouldnt recommend those services....there have been threads about this and the general consensus was that those werent of too much help...

what i would recommend is that there was a thread that had a list of sdnners that have been accepted to med school that were willing to read/edit/comment on personal statements and things of that nature.

id use that instead.

Based on some changes of plans, I really only applied to about 4 schools. Coincidentally, the one to which I was accepted and am matriculating is the only one where an interviewer actually commented on my personal essay.

You can start by not applying to 35 schools. Decide where you want to go and don't waste their time.

Originally posted by gary5
You can start by not applying to 35 schools. Decide where you want to go and don't waste their time.

really dont have a choice sometimes. with the randomness of the process how can you eliminate schools that you have a possibility of gaining an acceptance. sure getting into a school that we really want to go to is a definite plus but unfortunately it doesnt always work out that way. the main goal is getting in, which in itself isnt really easy.

for ex. lets say you ask a cali applicant where they want to go. for the most part they might answer they want to stay in california...would you recommend they just apply to just the cali schools since that is the only places they really want to go? no.

unless of course they dont mind the risks of having to spend more $$ and losing a year and having to apply again and going through the process all over again.

Originally posted by jlee9531
really dont have a choice sometimes...

for ex. lets say you ask a cali applicant where they want to go. for the most part they might answer they want to stay in california...would you recommend they just apply to just the cali schools since that is the only places they really want to go? no.

Case in point, me.

Somewhat competitive Cali applicant. Wanted to stay in California, only got two cali interviews, the rest were rejects. Don't think the two cali interviews I did were all that wonderful. Glad I applied to additional out-of-state schools. In the end, found that my best fit was in Toledo-OH, glad I applied out-of-state.

Sometimes applying to 30 or so schools, as I did, is necessary and beneficial in the end.