importance of picking medschools when considering competitive residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milhouse Van Houten

Reaction score
i have absolutely no idea what i want to go into. maybe family practice, em, surgery, derm, whatever. i just read the thread on family life of doctors, and it made me realize that there might be more to picking a medical school than just "where i'll be happy." is it possible to want to go into derm and just not be able to? or is it that you won't be able to do it where you want to do it? if i go to uc irvine over a much more prestigious school where i don't think i'll enjoy myself, does that mean i will potentially be unable to do the specialty that i want to do? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I should be in bed, as my first interview is tomorrow morning, but hey... :D

I think I may have overstated things before. I think most schools will get the vast majority of their students in to the field of their choice. The program of their choice is a bit more difficult...

From what I've heard, residency directors care more about your clinical recomendations than what med school you went to.

That said... If you want a the top spots at the most competitive schools with the best programs will mostly go to people from top 10 schools, as far as I can tell.

Perhaps others know more than I do... Anybody?

The most important factor to picking a medical school is...getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is possible to match at any kind of residency no matter which school you go to. However, as with med school acceptance, it gives you a little bit of an edge to be at a better school. What this usually means is that you will have to have slightly better USMLE scores, clinical grades, research, etc. if you are at a not so well known school. This is on average. There is much more individual variation because you can get to know people that can help you. For example, if you plan on staying in California for residency, you can meet the right people at UCI (which is a great school by the way) in order to get a spot.

To answer another part of your question: It is definitely possible to not get into a specialty you would like to practice, especially if you are looking for something competitive. Most competitive residencies have US MD student unmatch rates of 15-30%, meaning that that many students will not be able to practice their specialty of choice. Very few of these can get in at a later date. I know for radiology this year there were over 1400 US MD senior applicants for 900 or so spots. This does not even include the people that are out of school, DOs, or FMG.

Here is something to blow your ideas out the water:

I have a friend at a school that is not even top say....50. Good school. Doctors are trained well, but doesn't carry a stellar rep.

She just got back from clerkship at Mayo in MN, and did one as well at Hopkins. She'll get one or the other...she scored around a 240+ on Step 1.

Its about you...not the school. Go where you like it and where you think you can learn and enjoy the process.

one more thing to think about -- schools/residencies really take care of their own, some more then others... so if there was a particular institution you wanted to practice with afterwards for residency, it wouldn't hurt to go to that med school... then again, if you are just that good, you can get in there anyways

not a #1 consideration, but something to think about

I think it does matter!

It's just like undergrad. It's just that...if you go to a "less than stellar" school...you are going to HAVE to PROVE yourself on the Boards Step 1. If you go to a top 10 or so, then you can do average on the boards and you will still be on the same level.

People will probably disagree, but I think it's easier to go to a really good school and do average..than to go to a "decent" school and feel you always have to prove yourself

Sure, it matters, but does it matter as much as undergrad? Not nearly. There just isn't as much variation with med schools as there is with undergrad institutions.