• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

urrugby

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If a postbac school has a linkage with some med schools, but I'm not able to do well enough to get into one of the links, is there any advantage of going to a school with a linkage program vs. one without? In other words, do linkages with med schools benefits those that aren't able to get into the linkage group of the program?

01futuremd

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
This is just my two cents, but if you can't do well enough to get into any linkages at a school, you're looking at an uphill battle to get into med school at all, since at least some linkage programs have the average numbers for acceptance as their linkage requirements. I think the bigger question is why you don't think you'll do well when you haven't even started?

Lshapley

Old Man Med Student
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Portland
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi urrugby,

I don't know all of your specifics, so I can't comment on the specifics of your situation. Here is my general understanding though.

Assuming you haven't taken any of the basic sciences before (the usual situation for linkages) and you have a gpa above 3.4 and a good MCAT, than you should be able to get into an allopathic medical school if you apply broadly. Basically, you would be in the same situation as an undergrad with the same gpa. Linkages generally are looking for 3.6 or above, which is average. Plenty of people get into schools (allopathic and osteopathic) with below average gpa.

The linkages, I believe, reflect that the medical schools with these agreements with your postbac are familiar with your program and find it respectable. To do the undergrad analogy again, it would reflect the difference in going to schools with different pedigrees. That being said, the contribution of your program's pedigree pales in comparison to your actual gpa and MCAT. Medical schools will not likely take into account the pedigree of your program until after they culled applicants for gpa and MCAT, read the personal statements, and read the LORs. It is probably up there with your Extra-curriculars.

If I were in your shoes, I would be nervous if my gpa was below a 3.3. If that is your case, I would take more upper-level science classes and boost my gpa.

georgia_md

yo
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If a postbac school has a linkage with some med schools, but I'm not able to do well enough to get into one of the links, is there any advantage of going to a school with a linkage program vs. one without? In other words, do linkages with med schools benefits those that aren't able to get into the linkage group of the program?

Personally, I think the only benefit of getting into a linkage is that you can get to skip the glide year.

People get into medical schools of their choice all the time, via linkage or not.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.