Importance of Residency Placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdotjdot11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doctors,
I am a pre-med student who has just applied to a number of schools in the Midwest. I would like to learn the importance of good residency placement. This type of information will help me determine, when given a choice between schools, which is best for me.

Please share any personal experience or opinions you may have about a good residency placement out of medical school.

Thank you very much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Doctors,
I am a pre-med student who has just applied to a number of schools in the Midwest. I would like to learn the importance of good residency placement. This type of information will help me determine, when given a choice between schools, which is best for me.

Please share any personal experience or opinions you may have about a good residency placement out of medical school.

It may help if you provide a little more clarity about the exact nature of your question. Are you saying that your choice of medical school will be based, either partially or wholly, on which school has better residency placement (however defined)?

Doctors,

IMO, go to the best medical school you can. I feel like going to a mid-tier is coming back to haunt me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctors,

In general the higher up the academic food chain you are both in medical school and residency will help with prospects for future training.

Overall, I would probably agree with the advice to go to the best medical school you can, but I think there are caveats to this...

The top 20 "ranked" medical schools have an edge in providing especially good opportunities for training. Having a degree from Harvard, Hopkins, Stanford, etc will open doors based on name alone.

However, most people don't go the these schools and there is less clarity about what to do the farther down in "rankings" you go. For example..say you are from Texas and you have the option of going in-state to UT Houston (#56 USNews) for $10K a year or going to Wake Forest (#45 USNews) for $40K a year. Technically, Wake Forest may be a bit higher up the academic ladder, but is that worth almost $120K and moving across the country away from your family? You get my point.

IMO, go to the best medical school you can. I feel like going to a mid-tier is coming back to haunt me.

The flip side of this is that going to a a mid-tier has allowed me to have a "big fish, small pond" experience that I didn't have in undergrad - it is easier to achieve things like AOA, Junior AOA, etc. at an "easier" school.

Which is ridiculous. What's the point in having standardized exams if they don't standardize anything?

going to a top school = working less hard to get to prestigious residency
going to mid tier school = working harder to get to above said residency

there are exceptions.