Importance of various extracurricular activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alpha13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting mixed information about the importance of various extracurricular activities, so I thought I'd list a few and see what you guys have to say. Comments about relative importance and time commitment would be very helpful. I'll list what I have heard on each thing:

Community service: After speaking with a pre-health advisor I did not feel this one was important, but a well informed pre-med student told me the opposite. She said med/dental schools want to see that I care about others, and she recommended I commit to some kind of community service for several years (I'm a freshmen by the way)

Clinical experience: Relatively very important, but does not require as much time commitment. Shadowing + volunteering in a dental clinic for around 100 hours should be sufficient.

Research experience: Research schools see this as a plus; otherwise not a big factor. You guys think I could skip this one?

Leadership role: A plus but also not necessary. However my pre-health advisor emphasized leadership saying dental schools like to see leaders

Foreign language proficiency: Not 2, but 4 semesters of a foriegn language. Seems like a bit of overkill, no?

Any comments appreiciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Alpha13 said:
Hello,

I'm getting mixed information about the importance of various extracurricular activities, so I thought I'd list a few and see what you guys have to say. Comments about relative importance and time commitment would be very helpful. I'll list what I have heard on each thing:

Community service: After speaking with a pre-health advisor I did not feel this one was important, but a well informed pre-med student told me the opposite. She said med/dental schools want to see that I care about others, and she recommended I commit to some kind of community service for several years (I'm a freshmen by the way)

Clinical experience: Relatively very important, but does not require as much time commitment. Shadowing + volunteering in a dental clinic for around 100 hours should be sufficient.

Research experience: Research schools see this as a plus; otherwise not a big factor. You guys think I could skip this one?

Leadership role: A plus but also not necessary. However my pre-health advisor emphasized leadership saying dental schools like to see leaders

Foreign language proficiency: Not 2, but 4 semesters of a foriegn language. Seems like a bit of overkill, no?

Any comments appreiciated.

Why are you guys always looking for the easy way out?

Just volunteer at a dental clinic and participate. Set up trays, do autoclave, directly assist dentist, etc. Thats volunteering and shadowing and looks the best out of everything there is. Also, it would be good to get in with a dentist who volunteers overseas, they would love to see that. Go overseas and do hundreds of extractions in a week.

That would score major bonus with any admin commitee.

free bump for a great question

Community service: My interviewers all asked me about my community service so I have the feeling it made an impression. I had done some interesting ones. You don't have to dedicate a lot of time to it but since you're asking early you'll have time to do a few things until you apply. Your school should have a listing of volunteer oportunities like tutoring and stuff that you can do one afternoon a week for a while.

Clinical experience: I would say it's very important. I spent a summer full-time. I don't think you have to do that much.

Research experience: I think it can be a factor at any school, research oriented or not. It shows you are interested in learning and going beyond what is expected of you. At least do one unit one semester. It's not hard.

Leadership role: Leadership skills can be demonstrated in a lot of different ways without joining clubs and student organizations. If you are the oldest of several siblings and have taken an active role in raising them, had a job with responsibilities, etc...

Foreign language proficiency: I think this is the least important. Can't hurt though if you're interested in it and have the time.

Be sure to look at the web sites of the schools you think you might apply to because some of them actually require some of these things you mentioned. It's okay to ask on SDN to get an idea, but always check with the schools. All the information is out there if you look for it.