Important but depressing article

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Masseter Spasm, 09.23.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Masseter Spasm

Masseter Spasm 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sevoflurane

sevoflurane Ride 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Scary indeed.

4. BuzzPhreed

BuzzPhreed

Attending Physician
    HMA corporation got in trouble last year for precisely this kind of sh*t. They were the subject of a 60 Minutes exposé. They are no longer in existence having been purchased by CHS, who also inherited all of their regulatory problems.

Bottom line, this will not be as much of an issue provided people are still willing to blow the whistle. These business jocks can crow all they want. When it's their mom, daughter, wife, sister suddenly in need of care, it's amazing how their tune changes.

anbuitachi likes this.
  5. David Moss

David Moss 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Noyac likes this.
  6. Planktonmd

Planktonmd Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This document mentioned in the article might not exist but it is the reality of today's corporate medicine.
    The reason why I don't think the document exists is that it would be extremely stupid for those guys to put their unwritten anti physician strategy in writing with all the legal issues this could trigger.
    In the eyes of the leaders of today's health care business we are nothing more than a problem or an obstacle they have to overcome or at least minimize so they can achieve their business goals.

7. mja75

mja75 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In my humble opinion this article is parabolic but the message cannot be any truer. As more of us become employees, this is the future

8. anbuitachi

anbuitachi ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    this is a satire piece?? i thought its real haha

9. BuzzPhreed

BuzzPhreed

Attending Physician
    I think instead that they might sometimes see us as a plow ox that they have to yoke. We are not obstacles. The work doesn't get done without us.

The fact is that I work in such an arrangement and no one tells me how I should practice. Satire piece or not, there are a lot of physicians who wrongly believe that they will be controlled by some used car salesman with a online B-school degree. If they find themselves in that arrangement, there's an easy answer: unionize.

About the ads