Important Car Accessories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a conversation with a few coworkers the other day. To my knowledge the only “mandatory” car accessory to get are mats to place inside the car to keep the floor clean from mud and dirt.

I could possibly see a steering wheel cover to be important, but not as much as the mats. Any thoughts?

Of course they mentioned other things like getting a rear spoiler or “Club” for security, but I wouldn’t call those mandatory.

Members don't see this ad.

- Car charger for your cellphone and a holder for it like with a suction cup or in the CD player.
- ~$40 dash cam.
- Tire inflator and a pressure gauge.

That's all I have.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Getting a rear spoiler? Honestly cant tell if this is a joke or not...

Well I thought some of them were joking, but then started thinking, what SHOULD someone have as accessories? Hence the thread.

Had a conversation with a few coworkers the other day. To my knowledge the only “mandatory” car accessory to get are mats to place inside the car to keep the floor clean from mud and dirt.

I could possibly see a steering wheel cover to be important, but not as much as the mats. Any thoughts?

Of course they mentioned other things like getting a rear spoiler or “Club” for security, but I wouldn’t call those mandatory.

A quality jack and stands.

A quality set of sockets and a wrench to go with it.
A toqrue wrench.

A shop light.

That amazing orange hand cleaner stuff

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on what you want.

Practical upgrades:
1. 2 channel dash cam (forward and rear)
2. flashlight
3. the knowledge and equipment on how to change your spare (including jack points and what kind of surface you should be on before jacking the car up). I keep a 1/2" drive ratchet with appropriate sockets and extensions to make the process quicker and therefore safer. If you have wheel locks, decide how/where to store them.
4. napkins/towels
5. extra contact lenses or glasses
6. someone mentioned air pump, I agree with this. I have the amazon $40 one. This allows you to put in air (or enough air) when a gas station isn't around.
7. ibuprofen, although there was a recent studying linking hypogonadism in males w/ prolonged ibuprofen use
8. car charger
9. window tint (prevent sun burn, preserve car interior, privacy)
10. Upgraded tires. The single most effective upgrade to increase your vehicle's ability to stop / swerve / affect ride comfort / ride noise etc.

A spoiler will increase your drag coefficient and decrease your gas mileage. Unless your car has the appropriate drivetrain and/or handling setup, it won't do anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Jumper cables.

Instead of jumper cables, you ought to get this as it eliminates the need for a 2nd car to do a jump-start.

I have one in each of my cars. I had to use it once on my wife's car, and a couple of times to help out strangers. It works like a charm.

I keep thinking about Grand Theft Auto so my answer is a crowbar. So much utility!

I’m just happy if the car starts! But I would say a snow scraper depending on where you live and either jumper cables or one of those battery thingies that jump starts the car for you (as mentioned above).

I’m just happy if the car starts! But I would say a snow scraper depending on where you live and either jumper cables or one of those battery thingies that jump starts the car for you (as mentioned above).

All you want to do is ride around.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have kids so - wet wipes, tissues, something to poop/pee/barf in.
AAA card so I don't need any of that other stuff.
Phone charges and dash mount.

That's about all I keep in mine. Oh and my snowshoes.

Just FYI, AAA does not service the entire USA. When I broke down they told me I was out of their service area.

I got those glass breaker keychains for every car after I had a vivid dream the car went into the lake.

If you drive a car that would need a jump carry your own cables because I don't. Tire repair kit Ill call AAA. If its that bad I can throw on my spare.

Looking inside my car, I always have...
Tissue
Meclizine for that random roller coaster visit/boat ride/sky dive
Caffeine pills when I start to doze off on long drive
Phone charger
Body spray
Vaseline for chapped lips
Tons of pens from the pharmacy
Phone holder for GPS
Water
Spare tires/jumper cable

Just FYI, AAA does not service the entire USA. When I broke down they told me I was out of their service area.
I haven't had AAA since 2002, the day I first owned a car. I am totally fine without it.

Looking inside my car, I always have...
Tissue
Meclizine for that random roller coaster visit/boat ride/sky dive
Caffeine pills when I start to doze off on long drive
Phone charger
Body spray
Vaseline for chapped lips
Tons of pens from the pharmacy
Phone holder for GPS
Water

Also known as the “my parents are dropping me off at the mall” starter kit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've used AAA lots of times - got a jump start within 15 min on a Sunday.

I also have a work vehicle so if that breaks down, I call them.