Important: Do I spend too much time conducting therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiniLop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
True story: The other night I had a dream that I showed up at a local pool in order to conduct the first day of an intensive ERP with a client who I understood to have a fear of drowning. The client got very confused, as he was under the impression that he had signed up for intensive swimming lessons. Also, I brought the Bart Simpson towel that I had as a child.

Do I spend too much time conducting/thinking about therapy?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
True story: The other night I had a dream that I showed up at a local pool in order to conduct the first day of an intensive ERP with a client who I understood to have a fear of drowning. The client got very confused, as he was under the impression that he had signed up for intensive swimming lessons. Also, I brought the Bart Simpson towel that I had as a child.

Do I spend too much time conducting/thinking about therapy?
We need a Jungian to come give us a good interpretation of this haha

Reactions: 2 users
Bart Simpson is an important archetype in the collective unconscious. He's most def the tower. People who say he's the shadow are just plain ridiculous.

On the towel he's saying "don't have a cow, man." Is this a message to me? Am I having a cow? What does that say about my mother?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The couple Jungian analysts I know are skilled integrationists that seem to typically practice in a way much like what Castonguay has argued for. Same folks that I heard receiving consistently strong feedback from psychiatry residents for their teaching. Nothing like the tropes I see circulating on this forum. The Simpsons are funny. Generalizing about a group based on limited data is less funny.

I realize this might be the wrong time and wrong crowd for me to make this comment... I guess logging on here after reading the news headlines of the day wasn't a smart move. I probably need more Simpsons.

True story: I analyzed a dream with a client the other day! Though not in a fine-grained way, more "hmm, you often talk about feeling like others are forcing you to conform to society's standards, and then you have a dream about a girl who is refusing to conform! Perhaps there is a message here?"

Another true story: In high school I saw an honest-to-god, certified psychoanalyst for quite a while. It was incredibly helpful and changed my life. Looking back at the intervention she did that really helped and knowing what I know now, I would conceptualize it as essentially being a behavioral intervention. She taught me to manage a family member's behavior by removing my unknowing reinforcement of it. She even taught me to watch out for the extinction burst! She just didn't use that language. I often think about this when getting on my EBT high horse and try to remind myself that folks from different orientations are often (though not always) doing essentially the same work without really acknowledging it. That said, I still like poking fun at some of the goofier elements of psychoanalysis and sundry. You can do the same to behaviorism and I won't be offended : )

Reactions: 1 users
The couple Jungian analysts I know are skilled integrationists that seem to typically practice in a way much like what Castonguay has argued for. Same folks that I heard receiving consistently strong feedback from psychiatry residents for their teaching. Nothing like the tropes I see circulating on this forum. The Simpsons are funny. Generalizing about a group based on limited data is less funny.

Feel free to take jabs at CBT and I'll laugh along. Just having a little fun :)

True story: I analyzed a dream with a client the other day! Though not in a fine-grained way, more "hmm, you often talk about feeling like others are forcing you to conform to society's standards, and then you have a dream about a girl who is refusing to conform! Perhaps there is a message here?"

I heard really helpful podcast a few years ago from a Jungian on dream interpretation in primary care, who basically advocated for this approach. Personally, I see more as meaning-making, but I've used this intervention before and I think it's helped some people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users