Important factors for getting in to derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To get into Dermatology:

Does one need to PUBLISH, or is doing research ok? what does the program look for the most?!?

If one has very high USLME scores does that guarantee an interview?!

Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

There is no "one" thing that will get a derm residency.It is a frustrating undertaking for many applicants due to the limited number of positions open.A high USMLE score does not guarantee an interview on its own.A strong applicant will have made contacts in the field through research projects-publishing is not essential,excellent academic record and high USMLE scores.About 30-40% of successful derm applicants match into their home med schools program.So doing research and getting to know faculty at your own med school is important.Once you have to rely on other programs the competition increases substantially.Its a good idea to have a back up plan for an alternative specialty choice.

I'm probably starting a little later in the game than most derm applicants as far as the research thing. After narrowing my choices of specialty down to internal med, rads and derm, I'm thinking about doing some derm research during my fourth year...is this too late? I know I should have started earlier, but I wanted to go through 3rd year first before making any kind of commitment to one field. Is it even worth doing this late in the game? Am I even late at all?