Important Match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guest011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
lets say i am number 1 on the list of the Program A. i rank program A as my 3rd choice. doctor X ranks the program A as his first choice. i am ranked as number 99 by the programs of my first and second choice. does doctor X has an advantage over me for taking the position at program A just because he put the program higher?

in other words- should i take into consideration my chances to get matched in a certain program or i should just list in order of my preferance?

Members don't see this ad.

lets say i am number 1 on the list of the Program A. i rank program A as my 3rd choice. doctor X ranks the program A as his first choice. i am ranked as number 99 by the programs of my first and second choice. does doctor X has an advantage over me for taking the position at program A just because he put the program higher?

in other words- should i take into consideration my chances to get matched in a certain program or i should just list in order of my preferance?

Rank in order of preference!!! If you do not match at your first two choices in the example above, you would match at your 3rd choice. However, if for some reason your first choice went down to 99 on their rank list you would end up there if you put them #1.

In your example, NO Dr. X will NOT have an advantage over you with respect to Program A. If your first or second choice programs here fill up before they get to #99, you will get your third choice since you are ranked #1 there. Even if Dr. X was PROVISIONALLY matched there, you will bump them since you are ranked higher than him.
So, it is to your advantage to rank the programs in order of your preference!

The above two posters r wrong and trying to fool u, shame on them!!1!1! U shood rank programs u think u will get in, otherwize other people will take all teh spots b4 u gets to match>!!!!! oh nos! I think maybe ther is a website wer all this is explained. U shud look it up so these people don't fool U and take all the spotz.

is this true?? please someone help

Don't worry, what Dynx says is absolutely not true. The two previous people are right, the match works for your advantage and rank the programs according to what YOU want. If you go to the NMRP website they have a link for this and it explains perfectly how the match algorithm works and they give clear examples http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/algorithms.html

Take a look and I think you will feel better and understand how it works.

Good luck!!

Jesus people. Can't we just let a joke linger for a day or two? Can't we let those that are too stupid (or lazy, or both) to look up information for themselves fall flat on thier faces every once in awhile? If not as an example to others then at least for our own sick amusment?

I think this guy posted the same lame ass question in the path forum last week. Don't bother responding, he'll come up with some other crazy scenario for you to "figure out".

I LOVE this-2 posts in the last 8 are people with no clue how the match works-I am shocked this year and interview season to find out how many students have no clue how match works-schools need to implement a required class about the match so people attend since people do not seem to be able to care enough to read about the match themselves even though the match is the culmination of 4 years of hell. Hilarious!:laugh:

Jesus people. Can't we just let a joke linger for a day or two? Can't we let those that are too stupid (or lazy, or both) to look up information for themselves fall flat on thier faces every once in awhile? If not as an example to others then at least for our own sick amusment?

That was really funny with all the typos and all, too. Sorry it didn't last. :(

No idea why no one gets the match after the 10,000th time it comes up on both official websites and SDN...

That was really funny with all the typos and all, too. Sorry it didn't last. :(

No idea why no one gets the match after the 10,000th time it comes up on both official websites and SDN...

I know I am kinda thinking that helping these poor souls will haunt me somehow with one of them booting me out of a slot somewhere because I told them how to use the match properly-I think we all should stop advice from here on out-if you do not get it by now and have not bothered to find out then do you really deserve to know? nnooope

too good to help out your peers, huh? if by answering a question, you hurt your chances of landing a residency spot, then i'd say you have a lot more to worry about...check your insecurities.

too good to help out your peers, huh? if by answering a question, you hurt your chances of landing a residency spot, then i'd say you have a lot more to worry about...check your insecurities.

Notice how at least once a week, someone feels compelled to create a new SDN account just so they can post a thread titled, "Wow, I can't believe you guys are going to be doctors", with some pathetic attempt at a flame following.

Feel better there, big guy? Impressed with your own wit?

Notice how at least once a week, someone feels compelled to create a new SDN account just so they can post a thread titled, "Wow, I can't believe you guys are going to be doctors", with some pathetic attempt at a flame following.

Feel better there, big guy? Impressed with your own wit?

How did this Warden guy get banned? He has only been on here a few days, posting somewhat rude comments all over the SDN.