important med school question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summer147bud

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone

i already got into pcom, but i have a question about a freind

okay this is serious..its not a joke..i need some feedback
my freind has like a 2.5 gpa (though he got an A in orgo 2 and an A in chem 1)...hes taken the mcat 3 times and got a 10, 12, and 14....okay im being serious lol

first of all does he have a chance of getting into any medschool, domestic or foreign...??
and also he plans to apply for the january class of the medical school in mexico...they require a 3.0 gpa and their avg mcat score is around 24...does he stand a chance (he's mexican by the way and is on teh way to getting his citizenship)

okay i want some feedback so i can guide him the right way cuz im seriously lost

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be brutally honest... no he doesn't have a chance.

Saying your friend's stats are odd is a huge understatement, but everyone has a chance. He can also retake some classes and pull his GPA up. Which would be a great thing, but he should definitely give it a shot. Even with his GPA there are schools that would likely consider him. The stats below are from the 2004 classes at AUC in the Carib.

Average Cumulative GPA: 3.1
Average Science GPA: 2.9
Average MCAT: 22

Best of :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm no, he really doesn't have a chance, and if he does get in, could I get his name so I know where not to send my patients :scared: :scared:

SOUNDMAN said:
Umm no, he really doesn't have a chance, and if he does get in, could I get his name so I know where not to send my patients :scared: :scared:

hahahahhhhahahahahahahahhahaah...........ayiyiyiyyiyiyi

what am i supposed to say to him

He can apply and see what happens. He will have trouble getting into any U.S. medical schools. If he wants to goto off-shore schools, he'll have a better chance.

Tell him the truth, that he needs to seriously improve his application if he wants a US school. At the least, he needs to bring his GPA up to a 3.0 or higher with a post-bacc. If he gets pretty much all A's in the post-bacc, he's got a shot as long as he also manages a 10+ point improvement on his MCAT.

And even with a 3.0/25 he won't be a great candidate, but he'll at least HAVE a shot. There's virtually no chance of him getting accepted to any school in the US with what he has right now. And with his weak MCAT record, he might actually need to eventually score a 30 to get in anywhere, since he's already taken it 3 times and gotten 3 terrible scores.

I don't see him being in a good position to apply to US schools for 3 or 4 years yet. Alternatively, if he simply will not wait, he could try one of the Caribbean schools. But even there, the only ones that will probably accept him are the sketchier ones that don't require the MCAT. That's probably not such a great idea, but it is an option.

That MCAT history is going to kill him. If he wants to go to an American school he needs to let those scores expire and start all over again. It sucks, but he needs an advanced degree and a new MCAT.

I would say a post-bacc is key. He needs to prove it to himself that he will be able to make it through medical school and boards. If it was me, I would be scared I wouldn't pass boards with a history of poor performance on standardized tests. It would be huge waste of money if he couldn't pass his classes and boards. Maybe he could be accepted going the foreign route, but would he make it through? He needs to do more to prove himself before he tries to convince an adcom he can do it.