IMPORTANT! New legislation for student loan forgiveness for frontline healthcare workers. Get involved!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you mean LRTI, the U in URI means upper which this is not.

That poster is absurdly ignorant about all things COVID. I'm just glad he knew it was a respiratory infection of some sort.

And again, anyone who feels so petrified by their .1% chance of death from COVID is free to stay home. Like you said, they only have "to do the tasks they agree to do voluntarily."

Case in point.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t put a debt jubilee out of the realm of possibility. Bernie fans and the small amount of right leaning young people are far more aware of corruption between Washington DC and Wall St. Those two exist in a symbiotic relationship to extract the wealth from the USA. No different than what a “welfare queen” does.

Oh this thread is going to have some fun tangents...

Reactions: 1 user
Well, for the real people out there. You have the information to get involved if you like.

Haven't been on this forum for years since I got accepted to med school. I've had no need for it, and now that I've gotten a sense of the mindset here, I'll be checking out again. Toxic place. Back to the sanctuary of work and back to the books. Stay safe.

r/residents is the place if you want to have a pity party.

Won't the med students just call them whiny millennials though?
No. Refusing to walk into a room without PPE is a legitimate grievance. Demanding you get an extra dollar or 200,000 is just complaining. People are welcome to complain of course, just shouldn't be surprised when they get told no.

Reactions: 7 users
No. Refusing to walk into a room without PPE is a legitimate grievance. Demanding you get an extra dollar or 200,000 is just complaining. People are welcome to complain of course, just shouldn't be surprised when they get told no.

And this is what all of these arguments ultimately boil down to...

well this is a first...

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 7.50.26 PM.png

Reactions: 2 users
“The coronavirus pandemic did not create, but rather highlighted existing systemic racial and socioeconomic inequalities. The same can be said for systemic issues in medical training. While loan forgiveness and hazard pay would help resident doctors, these mere Band-Aids for those working amid the coronavirus pandemic do little to heal the deep, chronic wounds suffered by doctors during medical training. It should not take a pandemic to treat residents like humans. We can and must enact specific policies that can increase overall funding for and change the broken system that existed for all residents far before this war began.”

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users

Not sure about that. Per some on this thread, anything short of "I signed up for this and if I don't like it, I can go home," is whining.

F30F6C3C-A2D8-460C-88FF-98C7253162F6.jpeg
This mindset worked in the early 1960’s. Does anybody really think this mindset applies in 2020? Are you crazy?

“The coronavirus pandemic did not create, but rather highlighted existing systemic racial and socioeconomic inequalities. The same can be said for systemic issues in medical training. While loan forgiveness and hazard pay would help resident doctors, these mere Band-Aids for those working amid the coronavirus pandemic do little to heal the deep, chronic wounds suffered by doctors during medical training. It should not take a pandemic to treat residents like humans. We can and must enact specific policies that can increase overall funding for and change the broken system that existed for all residents far before this war began.”

wut? this article was in the other thread, but even she isn't saying they're not given adequate PPE.

wut? this article was in the other thread, but even she isn't saying they're not given adequate PPE.

She referenced it, but her point was about other things.

Not sure about that. Per some on this thread, anything short of "I signed up for this and if I don't like it, I can go home," is whining.
You'll always have those with more extremes of opinion. Doesn't mean they represent the majority, or even a sizable minority.

Reactions: 3 users
The coronavirus pandemic did not create, but rather highlighted existing systemic racial and socioeconomic inequalities. The same can be said for systemic issues in medical training.

"How me temporarily making 88k/year is much the same as being a poor black person in America"

Does anybody really think any amount of reasoning with the author of this comment will do any good? Do you think she considers economic policy, or cares about the ethics of repaying her loans?
She’s representative of the new USA, like it or not.

Does anybody really think any amount of reasoning with the author of this comment will do any good? Do you think she considers economic policy, or cares about the ethics of repaying her loans?
She’s representative of the new USA, like it or not.

to be fair, based on your {now edited} posts I could barely tell if you agreed or disagreed with her.

to be fair, based on your {now edited} posts I could barely tell if you agreed or disagreed with her.
I have an entirely different view of the world than her. That said, I’ve come to realize that my grandfathers USA disappeared forever, much to Huffington Post authors delight. At this point, all I care about is finding a way to help my children get out of this absolute disaster the USA has slowly turned into over the past five or six decades.

• Okay...
I'm just going to repeat a post I made last week about how ridiculous I find this concept.

If you add them all up, there are somewhere around 11,500 training programs in the US. That is adding up all the residencies (MD, DO, military) and fellowships that are accredited - there's more if you start counting the unaccredited fellowships. These 11,500 training programs with 11,500 individual program directors are spread out amongst >800 institutions all across the country.

I've been posting here for ~12 years and I don't think I have *ever* seen someone say that all of those programs were walks in the park and that there is no such thing as a malignant residency program. Clearly we all know that some programs have issues and that this is a real concern. There are plenty of anecdotes of abusive programs, and I know people personally who were in programs like that. And yet...

The vast majority of residents start a program and graduate that same program without issue. Last I looked at the data, only ~3% of people overall do two PGY1 years - and some unknown but still small number of people do a PGY1 at one categorical program and leave it to go do PGY2+ somewhere else (if you know a good comprehensive source on that, I'd love to see it). From everything I've ever seen, most of those part ways with their original program due to a voluntary decision on their part - for things like desiring a change in specialty. The number of people who get fired or quit in lieu of getting fired is *tiny* compared to the number of people actually in training.

Most of us attendings on SDN are young attendings - the people posting in this thread graduated residency/fellowship within the last few years and remember it quite well. I worked my ass off in residency. I broke duty hours a few times - winter shifts in the MICU sucked. But at no point did anyone abuse me. The majority of my weeks weren't 80 hours. My staff didn't yell or scream - they did their best to educate me. Sometimes they weren't the nicest about it, but someone having a slightly abrasive personality doesn't count as abuse. Did I have some evaluations I thought were unfair? Sure. But so do people I know in the corporate world too. If you averaged all my work hours over 3 years, I probably worked 55-60 hours a week on average - which isn't unusual for internal medicine in the least (outpatient rotations are nice). That's fairly comparable to the hours expected of any young professional - law, medicine, accounting, whatever. It was lower in fellowship.

You know who aren't publishing articles about their experiences in residency? Everyone with similar experiences to the above, who work for 3+ years in a typical program, don't have any disciplinary issues, graduate, and move on to be successful attendings.

I think the system should be improved to decrease the possibility of programs being over the top, but most people I know aren't having and didn't have issues. And inevitably, when we learn about someone who is having issues here on SDN, when the full story comes out - it's almost certainly not the programs fault. (With a few major exceptions that come to mind, like OSU urology a few years back).

----
TL;DR I did not suffer "deep, chronic wounds" during residency, and I would hazard to say neither did the *vast* majority of my peers.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
other than agreeing that residents were contractually promised a particular curriculum and just rerouting people for months on end is a violation of an advertised education, she needs to calm down

other than agreeing that residents were contractually promised a particular curriculum and just rerouting people for months on end is a violation of an advertised education, she needs to calm down

I'm gettin a sense that getting random op/eds published is how NYC residents are making up for the loss of moonlighting income.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm gettin a sense that getting random op/eds published is how NYC residents are making up for the loss of moonlighting income.
Your sense is wrong. I have friends that work in NYC losing thousands of dollars because programs have banned moonlighting due to being put on the frontlines in ICUs but won't give residents hazard pay. Publishing op/eds will not make up for them (don't care if your sarcastic or not). Unlike some of the people in this thread, I actually sympathize for them.

Your sense is wrong. I have friends that work in NYC losing thousands of dollars because programs have banned moonlighting due to being put on the frontlines in ICUs but won't give residents hazard pay. Publishing op/eds will not make up for them (don't care if your sarcastic or not). Unlike some of the people in this thread, I actually sympathize for them.

If hazard pay is like the military, that'd be an extra $200 a month. That still wouldn't make up for lost moonlighting opportunities. Those were always at the discretion of the PD anyways.

If hazard pay is like the military, that'd be an extra $200 a month. That still wouldn't make up for lost moonlighting opportunities. Those were always at the discretion of the PD anyways.

Not to mention a seemingly small but increasing number of moonlighting gigs are running into financial issues themselves. The place I worked at my last year of residency isn't taking moonlighters now due to all of this.

I already spoke about the loss of moonlighting income in the other thread on this topic so maybe shove it with the holier than thou attitude. My empathy doesn't mean I am forced to abandon the reality of what is happening financially at healthcare institutions across the country.

Nobody's entitled to moonlighting. Your PD at any time can say that they no longer approve you externally or internally moonlighting because it's interfering with your regular job (which is to be a resident). It sucks but that's about it. You PD could also stop your moonlighting because another resident dropped out and now you all have to cover their call/inpatient months or a resident has a chronic illness that you have to cover for an extended period of time or they don't think your education is up to snuff or etc etc etc.

Nobody's entitled to moonlighting. Your PD at any time can say that they no longer approve you externally or internally moonlighting because it's interfering with your regular job (which is to be a resident). It sucks but that's about it. You PD could also stop your moonlighting because another resident dropped out and now you all have to cover their call/inpatient months or a resident has a chronic illness that you have to cover for an extended period of time or they don't think your education is up to snuff or etc etc etc.
I buy that argument but I don’t buy residents being pulled from their educational experiences just because the hospital is short handed elsewhere. Not the resident’s problem. They were contracted into an educational program and the hospital owed them that education, they are not misc. labor

moonlighting is not a guaranteed thing

I buy that argument but I don’t buy residents being pulled from their educational experiences just because the hospital is short handed elsewhere. Not the resident’s problem. They were contracted into an educational program and the hospital owed them that education, they are not misc. labor

moonlighting is not a guaranteed thing

Though this may depend on what's actually in the fine print of the contracts. It's been a while since I was that in the weeds of GME stuff though.

I mentioned in the Hazard Pay thread that I do worry about residents meeting their educational requirements (particularly fellows and non-IM people). The residents in my program are still covering other services so I'm working without them right now, but I'm in an area that's still more or less running at peak capacity. If that peak becomes a high plateau that stretches much farther the program is going to have to start having a lot harder discussions about what to do.

Though this may depend on what's actually in the fine print of the contracts. It's been a while since I was that in the weeds of GME stuff though.

I mentioned in the Hazard Pay thread that I do worry about residents meeting their educational requirements (particularly fellows and non-IM people). The residents in my program are still covering other services so I'm working without them right now, but I'm in an area that's still more or less running at peak capacity. If that peak becomes a high plateau that stretches much farther the program is going to have to start having a lot harder discussions about what to do.
Agreed that it might not be specifically in the resident contract but it was an advertised curriculum when they made their match list and the acgme had some very specific program requirements. This is isn’t like trading a 2wk wound care exposure for 2wk of addiction medicine, some places are pulling psych residents for months and dropping them like im residents running a floor. I saw a post the other day about a peds resident rounding on adults.

the hospital owes these people their promised education. Taking them away to solve a labor shortage isn’t appropriate at all. Full stop. The only thing I could see being justified is “hey, you were scheduled for outpatient derm but they are closed, so we have to put you somewhere else”

Reactions: 5 users
Agreed that it might not be specifically in the resident contract but it was an advertised curriculum when they made their match list and the acgme had some very specific program requirements. This is isn’t like trading a 2wk wound care exposure for 2wk of addiction medicine, some places are pulling psych residents for months and dropping them like im residents running a floor. I saw a post the other day about a peds resident rounding on adults.

the hospital owes these people their promised education. Taking them away to solve a labor shortage isn’t appropriate at all. Full stop. The only thing I could see being justified is “hey, you were scheduled for outpatient derm but they are closed, so we have to put you somewhere else”

Agreed on this. I think people had been operating on the assumption that this would last a month or so and decline quickly. If we start seeing the possibility of this stretching out to the summer, the ACGME is going to need to step up and start putting some demands/guidelines down. I doubt they'll be much though.

TL;DR I did not suffer "deep, chronic wounds" during residency, and I would hazard to say neither did the *vast* majority of my peers.

I had some experiences as an M3 that came pretty close and I hope I never end up in a position where my mental health was as bad as it was back then, but that doesn't mean that the education should have been free at taxpayers' expense.

I think I like the idea of a set amount taken off rather than complete loan forgiveness. A drop of $30k from a $50k student loan for an RN or LISW could mean the difference between paying off CC debt, having savings, moving to a better school district, etc. for a lot of people. It would be nice for residents too, but the truth is we'll be able to pay it quickly enough, and with the money saved by having a cap, maybe the loan forgiveness could be spread to more people.

I'm just going to repeat a post I made last week about how ridiculous I find this concept.

If you add them all up, there are somewhere around 11,500 training programs in the US. That is adding up all the residencies (MD, DO, military) and fellowships that are accredited - there's more if you start counting the unaccredited fellowships. These 11,500 training programs with 11,500 individual program directors are spread out amongst >800 institutions all across the country.

I've been posting here for ~12 years and I don't think I have *ever* seen someone say that all of those programs were walks in the park and that there is no such thing as a malignant residency program. Clearly we all know that some programs have issues and that this is a real concern. There are plenty of anecdotes of abusive programs, and I know people personally who were in programs like that. And yet...

The vast majority of residents start a program and graduate that same program without issue. Last I looked at the data, only ~3% of people overall do two PGY1 years - and some unknown but still small number of people do a PGY1 at one categorical program and leave it to go do PGY2+ somewhere else (if you know a good comprehensive source on that, I'd love to see it). From everything I've ever seen, most of those part ways with their original program due to a voluntary decision on their part - for things like desiring a change in specialty. The number of people who get fired or quit in lieu of getting fired is *tiny* compared to the number of people actually in training.

Most of us attendings on SDN are young attendings - the people posting in this thread graduated residency/fellowship within the last few years and remember it quite well. I worked my ass off in residency. I broke duty hours a few times - winter shifts in the MICU sucked. But at no point did anyone abuse me. The majority of my weeks weren't 80 hours. My staff didn't yell or scream - they did their best to educate me. Sometimes they weren't the nicest about it, but someone having a slightly abrasive personality doesn't count as abuse. Did I have some evaluations I thought were unfair? Sure. But so do people I know in the corporate world too. If you averaged all my work hours over 3 years, I probably worked 55-60 hours a week on average - which isn't unusual for internal medicine in the least (outpatient rotations are nice). That's fairly comparable to the hours expected of any young professional - law, medicine, accounting, whatever. It was lower in fellowship.

You know who aren't publishing articles about their experiences in residency? Everyone with similar experiences to the above, who work for 3+ years in a typical program, don't have any disciplinary issues, graduate, and move on to be successful attendings.

I think the system should be improved to decrease the possibility of programs being over the top, but most people I know aren't having and didn't have issues. And inevitably, when we learn about someone who is having issues here on SDN, when the full story comes out - it's almost certainly not the programs fault. (With a few major exceptions that come to mind, like OSU urology a few years back).

----

While I generally agree with the spirit of your post, I think many people do suffer deep wounds as a result of the way residency is and for a likely much smaller subset, those will be chronic. To some degree life is wounding and traumatizing. What we're experiencing now is a trauma.

I think a bigger question with regards to residencies is why are residents experiencing this and is it necessary for training? I suspect a lot of trauma-causing aspects are not necessary for training and a lot is likely the result of the flaws in academic training and the way residents are defined (hybrid trainees/employees with limited outside prospects), which lends itself to abuse.

To be fair, she works as a resident in NYC, the same place that makes residents do nursing scut and is known for abusing them on the regular. I imagine her experience is likely far worse than my own or yours. Although, certainly hyperbole abounds in her article.

While I generally agree with the spirit of your post, I think many people do suffer deep wounds as a result of the way residency is and for a likely much smaller subset, those will be chronic. To some degree life is wounding and traumatizing. What we're experiencing now is a trauma.

I think a bigger question with regards to residencies is why are residents experiencing this and is it necessary for training? I suspect a lot of trauma-causing aspects are not necessary for training and a lot is likely the result of the flaws in academic training and the way residents are defined (hybrid trainees/employees with limited outside prospects), which lends itself to abuse.
I think its entirely dependent on the attitudes of the residency teaching staff.

My wife (IM) and I (FM) worked roughly the same amount in residency. For instance, my intern year had 10 call blocks out of 13 total. She had 10 call months out of 12 total. 2nd year I had 6 call blocks not including 2 blocks of night float. She had 8 months of call.

The difference is that my attendings liked to teach and weren't jerks for no reason. Her attendings were notorious in that hospital for being the biggest asshats of all the programs.

My fellow residents were all very close, even between the different classes. Her upper levels liked to be lazy and delegate way too much to the interns and 2nd years.

I look back on residency with mostly a sense of fondness. My wife still curses the hospital that trained her.

Reactions: 6 users
I think its entirely dependent on the attitudes of the residency teaching staff.

My wife (IM) and I (FM) worked roughly the same amount in residency. For instance, my intern year had 10 call blocks out of 13 total. She had 10 call months out of 12 total. 2nd year I had 6 call blocks not including 2 blocks of night float. She had 8 months of call.

The difference is that my attendings liked to teach and weren't jerks for no reason. Her attendings were notorious in that hospital for being the biggest asshats of all the programs.

My fellow residents were all very close, even between the different classes. Her upper levels liked to be lazy and delegate way too much to the interns and 2nd years.

I look back on residency with mostly a sense of fondness. My wife still curses the hospital that trained her.

I think even more important than the curriculum/hours is the personalities of those around you, from upper levels and attendings to your co residents, those below you, and nurses.

I think even more important than the curriculum/hours is the personalities of those around you, from upper levels and attendings to your co residents, those below you, and nurses.

The problem is that this is a much harder thing to regulate. It requires a culture shift from the top down. I generally agree though that you can tolerate a great deal of actual work when those around you are supportive and the environment isn't antagonistic or punitive. Tolerance for work goes down pretty significant when you hate those around you, feel you have to walk on eggshells, or are just consistently dumped on.

The problem is that this is a much harder thing to regulate. It requires a culture shift from the top down. I generally agree though that you can tolerate a great deal of actual work when those around you are supportive and the environment isn't antagonistic or punitive. Tolerance for work goes down pretty significant when you hate those around you, feel you have to walk on eggshells, or are just consistently dumped on.

Right. You can't always control it. But even one or two dinguses can ruin the entire program.

I’ll tell you why they’re doing student loan forgiveness for medical professionals, because when universal healthcare comes it’s going to drive our salaries down the toilet and we won’t be able to pay back our loans. The issue has become mainstream in the Democratic Party.

Meanwhile, the Republicans are trying frantically to drive down healthcare costs. It seems like in my state (Montana) the Republicans are trying to give nurse practitioner more independent practice rights.

I heard about nurses doing minor surgeries in the UK. It’s only a matter of time before it comes here. Nurses in India do the initial parts of a surgery then the surgeon does the more technical parts.

I have heard talks about waiving the residency requirement for foreign doctors and raising the number of residencies in this country. Possibly flooding the market with doctors.

At one point, I was seriously considering another career path. I’m a freshman at Montana State University. But money is not a huge factor for me. I want to be a physician on a NA reservation.

Anyways, Washington doesn’t care about the working man. It doesn’t matter if shoveling horse crap in the streets or a neurosurgeon. The only protected professions in this country are the Wall Street elites and CEO’s. Everyone else has no protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll tell you why they’re doing student loan forgiveness for medical professionals, because when universal healthcare comes it’s going to drive our salaries down the toilet and we won’t be able to pay back our loans. The issue has become mainstream in the Democratic Party.

Meanwhile, the Republicans are trying frantically to drive down healthcare costs. It seems like in my state (Montana) the Republicans are trying to give nurse practitioner more independent practice rights.

I heard about nurses doing minor surgeries in the UK. It’s only a matter of time before it comes here. Nurses in India do the initial parts of a surgery then the surgeon does the more technical parts.

I have heard talks about waiving the residency requirement for foreign doctors and raising the number of residencies in this country. Possibly flooding the market with doctors.

At one point, I was seriously considering another career path. I’m a freshman at Montana State University. But money is not a huge factor for me. I want to be a physician on a NA reservation.

Anyways, Washington doesn’t care about the working man. It doesn’t matter if shoveling horse crap in the streets or a neurosurgeon. The only protected professions in this country are the Wall Street elites and CEO’s. Everyone else has no protection.

So apparently this thread is going to be a repository for questionably coherent political posts.

/Is Burger Bob's still a thing in Bozeman? I used to stop there when I was driving through the area.

“At one point I was seriously considering another career path”....you’re a college freshman. You can still consider another career path.

Thanks for letting us all know how it really is.

Reactions: 7 users
Also, umm
“At one point I was seriously considering another career path”....you’re a college freshman. You can still consider another career path.

Thanks for letting us all know how it really is.

@byuboy was also claiming to be a college student on this forum 5 years ago based on his posting history.

• Hmm
Also, umm

@byuboy was also claiming to be a college student on this forum 5 years ago based on his posting history.

Taking 2 credits (i.e pottery or interpretive dance) per semester?

You have posted complete nonsense.

Are there any bills in congress right now about relief for front line workers?

We do have an attending that do not see Covid-19 patients. He just relies on what the residents tell her.

Also, umm

He's premed in the sense that everyone who doesn't have an M.D. or D.O. is premed.