important question regarding clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecalccobra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
say I volunteer at two 600 bed+ hospitals, and in a matter of a month, get approximately 150 hours. I learn a lot as it was my first time volunteering at a hospital and really like the setting, the environment. Now, would that be good enough for medical school as long as I got something out of that?

If yes... wont it look bad if I put that I only volunteered for a month (or over the summer)??

Members don't see this ad.

Having 150 hours of volunteer experience shouldn't hurt you, but having only one month of isolated experience might.

I think most interviewers would be hesitant to believe that you learned so much about medicine and your love for it through the experience, if you didn't want to continue with it for more than a month. If you are going to stop volunteering after so short a time, just make sure you can explain it (heavy school courseload, shortage of places to volunteer during the school year, etc).

Personally, I would suggest spreading out the hours. 150 hours over multiple months looks much better than 150 hours all in one short time. Although, that being said, the adcom probably won't be able to tell the difference on your application unless you send in a letter of recommendation.

I think the general idea is: quality, not quantity. If the former is there, then the latter will follow because of your interest and enjoyment of performing whatever it is youre doing. I attended a pre-med conference recently and there were some ad com members I talked to that emphasized the importance of not trying to "rack up" hours. They want you do perform worthwhile ECs where you can learn not just about being a doctor, but all the other angles that are involved in healthcare.

So like it was mentioned above, spread it out and spend some more time seeing what it is like