Important Question!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedAppGurl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My good friend is applying to Vet Schools. She got into only one of the bunch she applied to, but after visiting decided she really didn't like it there. I know for Med schools they severely frown upon you being accepted, and then reapplying... does this also apply to vet schools? Or can she reapply without penalties?? Any advice would help, she seems so upset.
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure a bonafide vet student would know for 100% sure, but I would say that she's putting herself at risk for getting rejected the next application cycle because of the applicant pool in which she will be competing against. Who knows? Maybe the competition this next cycle will be even more cutthroat.

I think that as long as she doesn't apply to the same school in which she is now accepted (duh), then other vet schools will see her as a reapplicant.

If she's not happy with this vet school, then it would probably work out in the end if she doesn't matriculate there, calls up the schools in which she was denied admission, and proceeds to beef up her application for those schools.

I think that if she got into one, then she's a strong applicant anyway, so roll the dice. She's a lucky person! I was denied admission to all of them, and I think I would have gone anywhere!

Good luck to her, anyhow...

I am facing the same dilemma sort of. I got an interview at my state school but didnt' get in. I got into another state school. When I applied, I thought my financial situation would be a lot better than it currently is, so I wasn't too bothered by the out of state tuition. When I got my acceptance and the list of costs, I almost had a heart attack. There is no way I can afford that. I talked to the vet I work for. He said give it another year. I talked to one of the deans at my state school, she said give it another year. According to her, people decline acceptances all the time for one reason or another (and you don't have to give them a reason when you decline), and apply again the next year. They even apply to the same school that accepted them.
Based on the fact that I got an interview at my state school, I feel pretty confident about next year. So that also helped my decision. I plan on declining at the other school and trying again next year.
If your friend didn't feel right about the school (and is sure she just isn't getting cold feet!), then it may be in her best interest to wait. Her app isn't going to get worse, it's only going to get better, as long as she keeps getting clinical experience and doing well in her classes so she'll be just that much more competitive next year.
But that's just my 2 cents! Good luck to her.