Imposter syndrome in PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jn7771992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ever like an imposter during PT school?

Long story short, when I step foot in the program I knew it was going to be hard, but never this draining. There have been times I haven’t slept well because I wanted to catch up on studying and I struggled with trying to be the best I can be. I had to go to counseling to talk about how to deal with this because every day I cried and tried to stay up float. I don’t understand how my classmates has it all together, but I’m drowning inside so much. I talked to my classmates before about this and they all felt the same, but I feel like it’s competition who has the highest grades which it shouldn’t be. I almost considered dropping due to feeling like I don’t deserve to be in PT school?

What should I do to move forward?

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short, when I step foot in the program I knew it was going to be hard, but never this draining. There have been times I haven’t slept well because I wanted to catch up on studying and I struggled with trying to be the best I can be. I had to go to counseling to talk about how to deal with this because every day I cried and tried to stay up float. I don’t understand how my classmates has it all together, but I’m drowning inside so much. I talked to my classmates before about this and they all felt the same, but I feel like it’s competition who has the highest grades which it shouldn’t be. I almost considered dropping due to feeling like I don’t deserve to be in PT school?

Sure. That's why "imposter syndrome" is a thing because yes, lots of people have felt like one. At some point I think everyone feels like an imposter. To get to this point we all were at the top of our classes, and now that you're among the creme de la creme....you'll suddenly feel very average or even below average. That is normal to feel that way. You had to be really really good just to suck at PT school, it is a jarring feeling.

Everyone puts on a good front. Some students genuinely are fine and then most feel like you, drowning on the inside and holding it together in class. You don't know and can't know what goes on in other people's heads, and also, it doesn't matter. Just worry about yourself. There is no point or value in comparing yourself to them because you don't know the whole story, you only know the face they put forward.

They accepted you. They haven't kicked you out. Therefore, you earned your place there and deserve to still be there. End of story.

To move forward, you're gonna have to just keep reminding yourself of how hard you worked to earn your seat. Head down, eyes up, take it one day/exam/practical/stupid presentation at a time.

School really kicked my ass too. I was in hysterics by week 4 of my first semester. I just didn't handle the stress very well. I got my feet under me during my second semester, and more or less adapted and maintained after that. I graduated with a 3.7 and there were several times I thought I'd fail out. My first semester I think I had a 3.3 or so. And it really doesn't matter. The students who graduated with a 3.0 got the same degree, and title, and boards cert as I did. No one asked for my GPA when I interviewed. My point is, I fully get it. I promise, the time passes, and you'll figure out a way to maintain. Try to focus on yourself more - force yourself to exercise regularly, eat regularly and not crap, and get some sleep. If you aren't taking care of your physical health, your mental health will suffer that much more.

Hang in there. It sucks, I know, but it does get better.

Reactions: 2 users

I honestly have learned from my previous program that people may know what they’re doing because it may not be there first time around in PT school. Focus on you, study with others and don’t be intimidated! I found out months later that at least 4 people in my cohort had been “repeaters” and they knew how to study for pt school. Personally I didn’t find my study habit until the end of the summer. However, that’s not always the case and the material might just come easy to first timers too! (Lucky them) Don’t let this intimidate you!

I cried every night haha. It was so hard to adjust. I get exactly how you felt. I actually had to withdraw for personal reasons and next time around it’s going to be slightly easier (still very difficult though) because I’ll know what to expect with the work/study load and how to study properly. I know i was not the only one lost at first and neither are you! Don’t let that discourage you. be proud that your in that program and don’t compare yourself :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

The ONLY thing that matters in PT school is passing your classes with at least 3.0 - that's it. Compromising your health and sanity is NOT worth extra 0.5 on your GPA. No ONE is going to look at your GPA! (even your classmates since they cannot see it.) If some people want to "compete" to feel better, let them compete. You don't have to participate in the competition. Do what makes YOU feel better (sleep, watching something stupid on TV, hiking, playing with your phone... whatever it is).
Yes, I felt like an idiot at the beginning and was questioning if I should drop out before I spend too much money... Then told myself to stop thinking like that, just do my best and see if it would work out. It worked out after the 1st semester, then after the 2nd, then with the boards, and it's over. I had exams and test where I got 40% score and I had tests and exams where I scored high 90s%.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you guys for your advice! I’m trying to change my mindset to be more positive during tough days. Yes I signed up to do this and the program is very rigorous. It’s hard for me to distinct myself away from my cohort who talks about getting the highest grades as possible.