Impressions on UCSD away rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FunnyBuddy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about trying to get a rotation at UCSD. Is there anybody who has rotated there and can give me their impressions? I didn't see any data/opinions on the derm spreadsheets from the previous 3 years.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did an away there, great experience. The faculty and residents were really nice and fun to work with and you see some pretty neat pathology (they have a Hansen’s dz clinic which was cool). The residents were great at helping with a grand rounds presentation and connections with faculty. Cons: there is some traveling between sites. I didn’t get an interview there after but the other applicant did so take that for what it’s worth. Feel free to message with questions (or ask on here of course).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did an away there, great experience. The faculty and residents were really nice and fun to work with and you see some pretty neat pathology (they have a Hansen’s dz clinic which was cool). The residents were great at helping with a grand rounds presentation and connections with faculty. Cons: there is some traveling between sites. I didn’t get an interview there after but the other applicant did so take that for what it’s worth. Feel free to message with questions (or ask on here of course).

Hey, thanks for the response!

I had a few questions:
1) do you get to have hands-on experience? Or is it mostly shadowing?
2) how many rotators are usually there at the same time?
3) are the faculty pretty open to writing letters of rec?

You actually do get a decent amount of hands on experience at this rotation. there is a student run clinic that you do a couple times a week in the morning. It still is mostly shadowing but that is how it goes at most dermatology rotations.
2. I think that we had like 4ish?
3. Not sure I didn't request a letter. IMO i feel like there are better rotations for letters just because you aren't really with one faculty member all that much but are rather with the residents more.