General Admissions & OTCAS Improve my Stats? Midwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittenfiesta

OTD Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to Midwestern IL this cycle and had not heard back for an interview. Since it's this close to the end, I don't think I got in this round. This was the only school I applied to since I was set on getting in and I wanted a school close to home. My next step is to take the GRE and apply to several schools out of state and reapply to Midwestern. I plan to apply to both Midwestern schools and the following: Washington University, St.Ambrose, Rush, Ohio State University, Kettering College, U of Toledo, University of Kansas.

Major:
Bachelors in Health Science in Rehabilitation & Disabilities
Overall OTCAS GPA: 3.60
Prereq GPA: 3.75
Experience: 1000 hours in outpatient OT and PT as a rehabilitation Tech.
Volunteer: A summer in Pediatric Hippotherapy with children that have disabilities.
LOR: 1 Hand OT. 2. Hand OT that was a professor at Midwestern and serves as my mentor at work. 3. Pediatric OT and the professor of my intro to OT class. 4. A physical therapist at my work that I translate for and work with her geriatric patients
Observations:
Hand: 70 hours
SNF: 35 hours
Inpatient: 8 hours
Hippotherapy: 35 hours
Education: working on completing 30 hours in elementary school
Language: Fluent in Polish and experience in medical translation

Additional Improvements: I'm planning on adding volunteer hours from a local memory care/SNF nearby my house. I'm also taking a prereq of child development.
-I plan on retaking two psych courses this summer since I got a B in them and they are affecting my prereq GPA
-I also am getting a new job working directly with children with disabilities

What are other ways to improve my chances of getting in this next round?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats look great, I think you just limited yourself this round by applying to one school so don't feel discouraged. If you score well on the GRE and write a strong personal statement I'm positive you will get in next round.

Your stats look great, I think you just limited yourself this round by applying to one school so don't feel discouraged. If you score well on the GRE and write a strong personal statement I'm positive you will get in next round.
Thanks so much!! I'm nervous about the GRE since my math skills are poor, but I will try my best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting a solid GRE score will definitely increase your chances there, as well as for other schools. I also applied and never heard back from them but I am actually going to St. Ambrose in the fall! My cousin went to Midwestern and she really liked it there but said it was extremely challenging. Revamping your personal statement to reflect your new experiences will help.

You might've made a waitlist though! All looks very good for clinical experience.

If you end up having to wait another year, maybe consider activities, jobs, and/or internships related to community service, advocacy, teaching, leadership, and/or research even if they seem slightly outside what you'd expect an OT to do. My only clinical experience was as a volunteer, but I did these other sorts of things, and (in addition to being good experiences) I think they made me memorable on paper.

Midwestern doesn't require the GRE. Looking at your stats I'm a bit puzzled as well as to why you didnt even get an interview, how late did you apply since they are rolling admissions? I will be applying as well for the upcoming cycle in July. Best of luck!

Midwestern doesn't require the GRE. Looking at your stats I'm a bit puzzled as well as to why you didnt even get an interview, how late did you apply since they are rolling admissions? I will be applying as well for the upcoming cycle in July. Best of luck!
I have similar stats but also did not hear back and applied in October. My friend had higher stats and applied in November.

I have similar stats but also did not hear back and applied in October. My friend had higher stats and applied in November.

Odd, I mean looking at the class averages for admissions and what I've seen from others, with those stats there shouldnt be any reason not to be called in for an interview/acceptance. I know when I spoke with the admissions counselor she said they don't pick their classes on stats but more so on people, experiences, how they'll fit in the program/group, etc. More of an overall picture, rather than stats and numbers. I know that dosent help though. Fingers crossed for everyone wanting to get into this program.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied in early October :(

You might've made a waitlist though! All looks very good for clinical experience.

If you end up having to wait another year, maybe consider activities, jobs, and/or internships related to community service, advocacy, teaching, leadership, and/or research even if they seem slightly outside what you'd expect an OT to do. My only clinical experience was as a volunteer, but I did these other sorts of things, and (in addition to being good experiences) I think they made me memorable on paper.
I'm planning on taking a job working with children with disabilities and will try volunteer at a memory care center. Fingers crossed that this will help me get in next round.

I had emailed asking for an update and all they said was your application was complete and under review and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. I know somebody who got an interview in Feb but didn’t apply for another month and half after me so that makes no sense if they have the rolling application review.

I had emailed asking for an update and all they said was your application was complete and under review and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. I know somebody who got an interview in Feb but didn’t apply for another month and half after me so that makes no sense if they have the rolling application review.
I received the same email. I also had a friend call last week to ask about how long they are interviewing for and how many spots are left, and they said that they don't know and its rolling admission. Very vague as usual. I think that March is the last month to be invited for an interview and that they interview those candidates in April.

I feel that they are very inclined toward pediatric experiences since I know several people who have had lower gpa in the 3.2 range and got in because of their work in ABA therapy. Also, the director is very involved with Autism studies. I wonder if that negatively impacted me since I mentioned in my statement that I want to work with geriatrics. I honestly don't know at this point.

I received the same email. I also had a friend call last week to ask about how long they are interviewing for and how many spots are left, and they said that they don't know and its rolling admission. Very vague as usual. I think that March is the last month to be invited for an interview and that they interview those candidates in April.

I feel that they are very inclined toward pediatric experiences since I know several people who have had lower gpa in the 3.2 range and got in because of their work in ABA therapy. Also, the director is very involved with Autism studies. I wonder if that negatively impacted me since I mentioned in my statement that I want to work with geriatrics. I honestly don't know at this point.

Interesting. I mentioned that I was interested in both peds and geriatrics. My friend who also didn’t get an interview is very interested in working with autism so if that’s the case I’m very surprised she didn’t get offered an interview. She has remarkable stats. I am not even counting on hearing something from them either way at this point but it is still frustrating.

The program director has experience that is very much peds focused, but she also has worked pretty extensively with adults with disabilities. Ergo, she personally enjoys working with individuals with disabilities. I don't think they give primary consideration to peds candidates, though. At my interview, there were several candidates who had interest in working in sports rehab.

When they do interviews, you're kind of paired randomly faculty--everyone in my group of 10 people got mostly different interviewers. My first interviewer was very much focused on geriatrics, and having no current interest in working with that population, I was certain I wouldn't be able to sell myself to her. I wouldn't advise this, but reflecting on my experience in a geriatric rehab aloud to her, I told her I could not see myself working with that population at this point in my life. She was an older lady, too. Again, not advisable. I did give her specific examples of important learning takeways from that experience, and I think I articulated well why it's important to learn and have a strong foundation for working with all populations, even if you find yourself leaning towards other disciplines. I'm still not sure how I pulled that one off. I'm just not the type of person who can feign interest to gain acceptance. I am understanding and supportive of those interests, but being true to myself, if I'm specifically asked if I enjoyed something, whoever is asking is getting the truth. My primary interest areas are mental health and school based, and if it works out, I'd love to do both in an urban setting. I did work as a research assistant for three years in the department of psychiatry of my university during undergrad, but I did not consider this as something that gave me an edge, as I was not asked about it during my interviews at MW.

I didn't submit until late Jan and received an interview offer 4 days later for President's day. I really liked the program and I could have easily seen myself going there. I was accepted a few days after my interview, and I declined my spot on 3/20.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I can't see why you weren't called, kittenfiesta. You are probably a better candidate than I am. I'm sincerely hoping that you get an my seat. Best of luck to Zach for next year, and for everyone else, too.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
The program director has experience that is very much peds focused, but she also has worked pretty extensively with adults with disabilities. Ergo, she personally enjoys working with individuals with disabilities. I don't think they give primary consideration to peds candidates, though. At my interview, there were several candidates who had interest in working in sports rehab.

When they do interviews, you're kind of paired randomly faculty--everyone in my group of 10 people got mostly different interviewers. My first interviewer was very much focused on geriatrics, and having no current interest in working with that population, I was certain I wouldn't be able to sell myself to her. I wouldn't advise this, but reflecting on my experience in a geriatric rehab aloud to her, I told her I could not see myself working with that population at this point in my life. She was an older lady, too. Again, not advisable. I did give her specific examples of important learning takeways from that experience, and I think I articulated well why it's important to learn and have a strong foundation for working with all populations, even if you find yourself leaning towards other disciplines. I'm still not sure how I pulled that one off. I'm just not the type of person who can feign interest to gain acceptance. I am understanding and supportive of those interests, but being true to myself, if I'm specifically asked if I enjoyed something, whoever is asking is getting the truth. My primary interest areas are mental health and school based, and if it works out, I'd love to do both in an urban setting. I did work as a research assistant for three years in the department of psychiatry of my university during undergrad, but I did not consider this as something that gave me an edge, as I was not asked about it during my interviews at MW.

I didn't submit until late Jan and received an interview offer 4 days later for President's day. I really liked the program and I could have easily seen myself going there. I was accepted a few days after my interview, and I declined my spot on 3/20.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I can't see why you weren't called, kittenfiesta. You are probably a better candidate than I am. I'm sincerely hoping that you get an my seat. Best of luck to Zach for next year, and for everyone else, too.

Awesome insight as always. Thanks Stephanie!

This is my second time applying to Midwestern. I was just denied again this morning. My stats:

Pre-req GPA: 3.4
Cum GPA: 3.6
Worked as ABA therapist for 3.5 years. Rehab coordinator at ALF for 1.5 years. 5 professional references. Over 500 shadowing hours. Volunteered with adapted fitness program in gym and pool, muscular dystorphy camp, death and grieving camp, Adaptive Sports USA, pediatric therapy clinic, hippotherapy, and adaptive fishing group. Research in educational neuroscience lab looking at Autism spectrum disorder for 1 year.

Wondering their selective process...
Were you offered an interview?

I was not this year or last year. I forgot to add I went to school at UW Madison for undergrad.

I was not this year or last year. I forgot to add I went to school at UW Madison for undergrad.
I tried to PM you, but it's telling me I can't send you a PM, for some reason. Just think about the following questions (no need to publicly answer):

What do your prereq grades look like? Did you finish all the prereq classes? Did you call to confirm your classes met their requirements after not getting in last cycle?

More generally, after you got denied last year, did you reach out to the department to find out what you could do to strengthen your application for this year?

How confident are you that all 5 of your recommenders raved about you? I'm not suggesting anyone necessarily said anything bad, but you don't want a recommendor that gives you an average letter. 3 steller letters are better than 5 with 1 or 2 that don't praise you heavily.

Did you revise your personal statement between this cycle and last?

I'm from out of state, but it did seem like most people at my interview were from illonois. Not sure if they have an in state preference or not but I would call and ask.

Last year I applied right before the deadline and received an interview within a week. I was waitlisted. This year I had much more experience, better letters of recommendation, an improved personal statement, and I applied in the beginning of September but I did not get an interview! I did get into a school that I was rejected from last year though! It it very interesting how schools make their decisions. :eyebrow: