Improving Chances at Peds Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hothause

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm currently on a research year in between 3rd and 4th year and am wondering what I can do within the next 6 months to improve my chances matching at a top peds program. To me, that means a large tertiary care center with a strong focus on research/creating future academic pediatricians. I'll be applying to residency next fall. Should I be shadowing? Something else?

As far as my grades, I received all HP and H for third year although I only high passed the peds core rotation (honored a peds elective). I'm at a top 20 NIH funded med school for what that's worth with a good peds program attached to it. Step 1 was a 216 but I performed better on Step2 (254). My research is tangentially related to peds as some of it focuses on adolescents and contraception, but my mentor is an internist.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to make the most of this year.

Thanks,
hothause

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! One of the keys might be for you to do an away rotation at one or two institutions that you would like to go to-- and impress the pants off of them. I did an away rotation in peds onc which was a more intimate rotation with very close interaction with the attendings and fellows and great continuity. again, this isn't a necessity. Your step 2 score is great and a high pass in peds doesn't mean you won't match in a great program, especially since you honored an elective. Make sure you get strong letters and when you ask for letters ask them specifically if they can write you a STRONG letter of recommendation.

Happy to answer any more questions as needed. good luck!