Improving chances of a residency?

Started by jane2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jane2

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I'm an FMG who wants to (eventually) do a residency in the USA. I want to do all I can to promote my chances of getting a good residency.

I'm wondering whether doing internships with women's health charities in the US will help in getting OB/GYN residencies... or not so much? They're a very expensive thing for me to undertake, since I'm British - so wouldn't be able to work part-time at all whilst I was there (it's impossible to get the visa for it...)

Obviously my med school grades are important but I need to have other stuff as well - so would this type of thing be useful?

Thanks 🙂
 
jane2 said:
Hi,

I'm an FMG who wants to (eventually) do a residency in the USA. I want to do all I can to promote my chances of getting a good residency.

I'm wondering whether doing internships with women's health charities in the US will help in getting OB/GYN residencies... or not so much? They're a very expensive thing for me to undertake, since I'm British - so wouldn't be able to work part-time at all whilst I was there (it's impossible to get the visa for it...)

Obviously my med school grades are important but I need to have other stuff as well - so would this type of thing be useful?

Thanks 🙂

Hmm...
If it is going to be too expensive to do that, I wouldn't bother. Are you able to do away electives in any US schools? If so, I think that would give you more bang for your buck and maybe get a few letters from well-known US faculty. Continue to get good grades, do well on your boards, and frankly I don't see you having much trouble getting into a solid program. The good thing about OB/GYN is that it is not Derm....

Good luck
 
I heard from a visiting foriegn med school 4th year than his next rotation was "at Harvard" and "they were paying him for it" because he was a foriegn student. Take it for what it's worth....... I don't know if that was living expenses or what, or even if it's true.